Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Temporary Housing Option

I brought home a new betta today but the tank I intended to house her in malfunctioned so it's filled with gas bubbles (I can barely see her through the tank wall). I have another tank I am going to use but I need to get a few things for it, which I won't be able to do until later in the evening after work. Would it be possible to put her back in the cup she came in and perhaps float it in my 10g where my male is? I've seen her nibbling at the bubbles on the bottom of the tank and I'm worried she might get Gas Bubble Disease. I'm super mad the tank isn't working.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #2 
nowzem

I wouldn't float it in the same tank as the male...She should be fine just left in cup she came in (she's been kept at room temp so far...) I'd probably do a water change, tho. They get highly agitated when they can see each other, which will probably do more harm than leaving her at RT IMO.

Also...the gas bubbles should all be gone over night, so it should be safe to house her in that tank once they are gone...just age her water from now on to let the bubbles dissipate. And they get GBD from the bubbles attaching to their gills, so don't worry about her" eating" bubbles.
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Okay, thanks for setting my mind at ease. She's super shy right now and a little clamped so I'd like to be able to see her clearly in case something goes wrong. I wonder if this gas bubble problem is more pronounced because this is a smaller tank. I get a few bubbles in my 10g but nothing like this.

Should I put warmer water in the cup before I put her in, like 80 degree farenheit, or use room temperature>
Old 05-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #4 
copperarabian

I always use fry containers for temp housing, or to treat sick fish. I have some with slits in them so water can flow through the container, and it floats on the surface and you press it against the side of the tank and it will stick there. I have one that's made of mesh and hangs on the side, and one that has no slit and hangs over the side of the aquarium on either the outside or inside. I use the one with no slits or mesh for sick fish. I like using these because they can sit in heated water, also the containers with slits and the mesh container allows fresh water from the tank to flow through and keep ammonia from building up, only bad thing about these containers is you need a aquarium large enough to put them in.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Are the fry containers the same as the breeding traps I've seen? Like this?

If not, where can I find them? They sound very handy to have. She's in the cup she came in on my desk by me right now. I put one of her plants in there with her, a tiny fabric plant marketed for bettas, so she's resting on it near the surface. Since she's so new, and she didn't look super healthy at the petstore, I like being able to keep an eye on her. I'll get her permanent home all fixed up later tomorrow.

(Do you breed Arabians as well?)
Old 05-30-2011, 02:08 AM   #6 
copperarabian

I have this one which I took all the dividers out off, and one that's similar but much bigger. these are the left overs of breeding sword tails lol never thought I would get so much use out of them, especially since breeding cichlids is way more fun to me and they don't need them.

and the mesh one, I never used the cheap fake plants though XD

I couldn't find any pics online of the one without any slits or mesh, but it's like the containers they have hanging on aquariums(I see them at petco) where they sometimes put fish you are about to buy. I just flipped it around so it's sitting in the tank rather then on the outside.

*edit*

Both of those are available at Petco, I think the first one is like $6, and the mesh is like $8 or $9. The bigger one I haven't seen since I was a kid unfortunately. Next time I go to Petco I'll look around and see if I can find any new fry containers that are bigger. I might go tomorrow so I'll let you know.

When my last new betta was really weak I also floated a Tupperware container in my big tank for him so he would have more room, so you can always do that, just make sure you leave a few inches so it floats.

Last edited by copperarabian; 05-30-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:24 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Oh, okay. I think I've seen these in a few of the aquarium stores. They sound like a good investment as hospital "rooms." I'll definitely have to look into it. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:29 AM   #8 
copperarabian

I totally wish I could breed Arabians, That would be awesome, my username is after a amazing arab stallion I once saw as a kid who shined like copper in the sun and is my dream horse :) (most likely if I breed anything other then fish it will probably be large parrots XD if I have the time once I graduate art school lol)

and your welcome :D I love them! It's also great for when you buy a betta who has no aquarium(like the little sick bettas at the store who capture are hearts), and you can keep it in there for a day or two while you set the aquarium up for it.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:40 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Arabians are beautiful horses, aren't they? Alas, it's much easier to keep fish than horses. One last off-the-topic question. Where are you going to art school? That's really cool. My older brother graduated from art college in 2000.

The net breeder would have come in pretty handy. My new girl is one of those sick ones that totally won me over like you talked about and I thought I had a tank all ready for her but it just went all wonky. She seems like she feels safer in her cup anyway - in her temporary tank, she hid in her plants so I never could find her without scaring her.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:57 AM   #10 
copperarabian

I'm going to Academy of Art University in San Fransisco, I just finished my first year of my digital photography major. One year down 4 to go.

Sadly the dorms don't allow any pets at all (not even a little aquarium O.O) so I commute from San Jose 4 days a week. but now it's summer and I'm freeeeee to take care of my aquariums and play with birds, and hang out with friends which we never get to do while we are in school XD

Sorry XD that was a super long answer that kinda went off topic.