Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #1 
masshiimarro

wilds, anyone? :D

i was wondering if anyones ever had any wild species, or ever had any in their lfs? cuz today, i saw a pair of wild bettas for sale in a lfs. i forget the actual specific name, but it was called something like red spotted betta or something like that and was really enlongated, almost seemed like a loach. they seemed pretty rare to come by.....

so anyways, they fascinate me, and i am curious to see if anyone knows what its like to keep them.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:53 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I have several species of Wild bettas (as can be seen in my signature), and so far I've found them far hardier and easier to care for than their domesticated counterparts. They prefer a tank designed to mimic their natural habitat, as this will show them at their best colours, and encourage breeding between pairs.

Aggression levels vary between complexes. My Betta coccinas are mostly all talk, while my breeding pair of rutilans are sometimes at each other's throats. If your fish has been wild-caught, don't expect to see them for at least a month. I practice hand-feeding so they become comfortable with me being around. Once they are accustomed to people, all my wilds have become as tame as any of my splendens. I used to have a Unimaculata male who would sit vertical in the water begging for food.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #3 
masshiimarro

oh, thanks :)
i was wondering if people always keep them in pairs. it seems like they are always sold in pairs. i know some people keep them to breed them, but are there people that keep them just to keep them?
and also i know it depends on the species, but for the most part i hear that they can be kept together in a group?
Old 05-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah certain species can live in groups as long as there are enough hides and spaces to get away from each other. I have a 30cm cube tank with four Betta coccina in it (3 male and 1 female) and they get along well enough. There's a three inch decaying leaf litter at the bottom, and a couple of pieces of grapevine thrown in to act as a shelter. It was only a temporary tank (hence the size) but since they have gotten to like it so much I've left them there.

Mine can be fussy with food. My new pair of Betta albis won't eat anything but frozen brine shrimp at the moment, while my Betta uberis think I'm coming to kill them whenever I so much as take a peek in their tank.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #5 
masshiimarro

ack, now i want to keep some too! but theres so little known about them that its hard to know what to do if something goes wrong.. :< maybe in the future i will keep some, when things arent so hectic!