Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 11:52 PM   #1 
Sivan

What Stores Call Them: Fighting Fish VS Betta

Hey hey hey.

So do you guys think what a store calls the fish, a fighting fish or a betta fish, effects the mindset of an owner? I went into a local pet retailer the other day and they only sell fish as pets, as well as supplies for all animals. Their selection was nice but I noticed they had a sign up for "Fighting fish" with a note saying they would not fight other species only each other. This concerned me because its wording could lead to inexperienced owners, or people indifferent to animal welfare, thinking that betta fish are MEANT to fight. The sign also said that you could use a mirror to make the fish flare and attack.

I felt this was a stupid, careless, thing to have in a pet store. I dislike the term "fighting fish" because it makes it sound like bettas are not only extremely violent in nature, but are meant to be used in fish fights. To me, that is just as bad as using dogs for dog fights. Animal cruelty is animal cruelty, although many people do not consider fish to matter.

I prefer to have a store call the animal a betta as a result. How many of you feel the same way? Anyone pro "fighting fish" title? I am interested in opinions on this matter. I almost wanted to write management a letter on this topic because of the store's terminology and sign.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #2 
bettafish15

I also don't like the term fighting fish, it sends the message that it's OKAY for bettas to fight, they don't call them Mini Pirhanas or Death Fish. >.> It really sends the wrong message IMO.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:50 AM   #3 
Luimeril

my lps calls them 'bettas'. the signs say 'betta', the employees call them 'betta', the receipt calls them 'betta'. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:18 AM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

Everywhere I go it says Betta and to not fight them.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:45 AM   #5 
fightergirl2710

All the places here call them fighters.. The first time I went to ask for one, I asked for a betta and they all gave me confused looks... Even fighting fish works but betta just gets you a blank stare -_-
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #6 
Ashleigh

I agree with you completely, bettas do not like to fight. They only do it to defend their territory, bringing them stress. A happy betta would gladly go through it's life without seeing another fish.
Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #7 
kif3

i agree with all thats been said, where i live they are called siamese fighters, if they have a sign up like that i think that you should write to management because it really does send the wrong message, especially to those people who find enjoyment in something forcibly killing/fighting another thing :/
kif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #8 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kif3 View Post
i agree with all thats been said, where i live they are called siamese fighters, if they have a sign up like that i think that you should write to management because it really does send the wrong message, especially to those people who find enjoyment in something forcibly killing/fighting another thing :/
I think I may go back and see if the sign is still up. Honestly, I haven't seen these fish be referred to as "fighting fish" since the 90s. The sign also lead others to believe that you could put any fish to live with a male betta unless you don't want two males to fight, but any other species is okay. I began to think about the compatibility between types of fish who are slow eaters (i.e. goldfish) versus these fast eating betta fish and how just putting any two fish together isn't smart.

I know most people consider these animals to be "just fish" and easily replaceable, but what makes a fish lesser than a dog or cat? This is just irresponsible from a pet store.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

So should we change the breed name Pit Bull or Bulldog to "bunny rabbit" because some idiot might decide that it makes it ok to fight the dogs or put them in rings with bulls?

A name is just a name. It's what YOU do with the animal that makes the difference. In most of the world Betta's are known as fighters.. let's face it.. how many other pets do you refer by their genus name. Betta isn't even their species name. It would be more appropriate to call them splendens if you are going to go by the scientific name.

Instead of saying everyone should all agree on calling them Bettas why not take the time to educate everyone you come in contact with them why you think fighting bettas is not right.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #10 
PitGurl

This is a little off topic but here in the south everyone calls them bay-tuh and spells it beta. Even in petstores. I had a petco employee correct me one time when I pronoucned it the correct way. It drives me crazy.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote