Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #1 
turtle10

Vacationing with AND with out my Bettas

Okay, so for about two weeks this summer, plus about 6 days travel so about three weeks total, I will be away from home. I will be leaving my divided ten gallon w/ two males, my ten gallon w/ one male, my shrimp tank, and my 55 gallon community tank. Obviously they can't go without food and water for three weeks, so I am here asking for help! I have NO ONE, literally NO ONE to feed/ care for my fish. My mom said she would pay for someone to come and do that while I am gone… are there people that maintain aquariums like that?

Also, if there are, what is the minimum amount of times he can come? I don't want to pay like 43576298357 dollars for him to come every day. Like, how long could I get away with not doing a water change in the tanks? I am sure skipping a change would be fine, but three weeks with out changes? That seems iffy to me, even with an extra large water change right before and after. They are all cycled.

What do I do?!?!?! I am so worried about my fish, I feel like no one can take care of them as well as I do, and I worry they will mess up or the fish will die or they will spill water, etc.

Also, I am traveling to Idaho with my still unnamed female. She is the one I bred to Bellino, you may know her as "Greeny" lol. She is blue now btw. We are going by car. I plan to take some water from home with me to use along the ride, and once we are in our final location I will acclimate her to the new water. It will be about a three day car ride. Austin to Santa Fe, Santa Fe to Salt Lake City, and Salt Lake City to Sandpoint, Idaho. What is the best way to travel with her? Also, should I leave her cycled filter at home in her 5g? I was planning on a 2.5 gallon being her "travel tank".

Also, very very random, does anybody have any advice on plant care? I am leaving a baby aloe, some (wilty) basil, a rose tree, and three bouganvillea (sp?) behind and that makes me sad. I want to take my basil with me, does any one know if Basil does well on three day road trips?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #2 
laughing

RAWR! I had a large answer and it erased. ;(

Simple terms, if it is expensive for a reputable, good review professional to come out, do 100% water changes on the 10 gallons and rinse out the substrate well. Do a large water change on the 55 gallon. Have the person come out at the 1.5 week mark and do water changes for everybody (10 gallons about 50-75%) and then when you get home do a hefty water change then go back to your normal schedule! Everyone should be fine.

I would tell whoever is doing it to properly acclimate them back in. Also, make sure they use everything you use in the water so the shock is less.

Bettas can not eat for 2 weeks, so if someone could stop by every 5 days or so and give them a few pellets they'd do well. Just tell whoever is doing it not to feel bad and overfeed!

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #3 
copperarabian

sometimes fish specialty stores will watch fish while people are on vacation if you have any in the area.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #4 
Neil D

@ laughing

I dont think 100% changes will help, as they will start to cycle, and cycling tanks need even MORE changes. Id say a 70% change on all tanks, and a minimalist feeding regime.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #5 
turtle10

Yeah I am worried the cycle will de-stabilize if I do a 100% water change. I will probably have to have someone come to my house because it is sooo many fish to move.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:27 AM   #6 
laughing

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean scrub down the whole tank and rinse it out, I meant get the gravel completely cleaned and get all the water out! Haha!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #7 
Neil D

I'm still sure that if the tank doesn't go through a full cycle, it will mini cycle. I would do a 70% change (a week before) on all tanks. Refill them, and just before you're about to leave (day before) do another 70% change.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #8 
turtle10

I don't think you are ever supposed to do a 100% on a cycled tank, especially cleaning the gravel, that could really mess things up. I was thinking I would do a 70-80% change two days before I go, and then do another 70-80% change the day I leave. UGH that is going to take FOREVER on the 55 gallon..

Does anyone have any tips for traveling with bettas? If I can secure it in the car, would it be okay to keep her in the 2.5 gallon with saran wrap on top?
Old 05-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #9 
Neil D

I would think it would be okay, but Ive never done it. I would remove all decor so it won't crush him/her.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #10 
laughing

The bacteria does not live in the water, siphoning the gravel and removing all water isn't going to harm it. Scrubbing down the tank walls, letting the walls, filter, and decor dry out are what is going to ruin the cycle.