Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #1 
BettaRepublic

Betta gets a 10g???

Hey! I'll be movin in a few months so I need some advice on my 10g. I'll have lots of aqaruims, but this is a start. Plz reply so I can copy this on my hard drive and keep it for the record ;). First, it's dimensions are: 20"L x 10"W x 12" H. Uses an Aqueon Power Filter (size 10) that came in the kit and a 50-watt heater also with the kit. I also got an air pump ( Petco Air Pump: Model: AC-9901 For up to 13g with tubing, a check valve, which i won't use cuz it'll be ABOVE water level, and a 1.5" Petco brand airstone.) First question: The Aqueon filter has no adjustalbe setting, which dosen't really bother me, but is is sutable for bettas? If not, what's a good filter? Is the pump good? If it isn't, I'd be really set off, cuz the next best one's like $60-$100. And is it truue that betta color affect thier personality? One last question: Any good tankmates for my wonderful red veiltail betta?
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #2 
Neil D

The filter will probably need to be baffled. The color of bettas can change if theyre in a warm, clean good home. For a betta you dont need the air pump, as it creates uneccessary currents. I have my betta in a heated, filtered, cycled ten gallon and he loves it!
Tankmates: somepeople recommend tetras, cories, snails, shrimp, but my guy is alone. You can also divide a 10G.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #3 
BettaRepublic

But what about aeriation?
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:16 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Bettas are air-breathing fish, they go up to the top to breathe, so unless you are going to add tankmates I wouldnt bother with the airstone.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:04 AM   #5 
baylee767

^
This. Although even with most tankmates (the ones that fit in a 10 gal, at least) the filter would be enough aeration. And even baffled a filter will oxyginate the water some.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:58 AM   #6 
Neil D

^+1. Most tank mates for Bettas are puny, 1in or less each. Aeration is not usually required
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote