Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #21 
Punki

It looks like fin rot, sillycone is right think based off that picture. Thatd explain why that piece is missing as well, the fin rot is spreading. I dont know the dosage but aquarium salt and lots of water changes should fix the tear and the rot and he will grow it all back. Hopefully someone with the dose info comes soon to help you.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #22 
PewPewPew

The Dosage for aquarium salt is 1 tsp/gallon.

Please use this dose for 7-10 days (but no more). Every day, please do a 100% water change and add new salt in. acclimate correctly each time. Please keep the tank at a temp above 75'. Those heaters are very bad...you get what you pay for. Going cheap isn't good, and that type is known not to work. marine land sells a much better one for $18 or less, a 10w. I'd return the other. Its also smaller and not so ugly.

Clean water, a good temp and aquarium salt will fix those fins. If left in unclean water, it will spread to the new tear.
To test if the plants are too sharp, which they probably are, use a pair of panty hose and see if it snags while being dragged across. If so, they're no good. It may not "feel" sharp, but it is.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #23 
sunnydawnie

What do you mean by acclimate correctly each time ? I assume walmart carries aquarium salt ? The fish store by my house is really expensive.

Also, please educate me- what is wrong with the type of heater I just bought ? Right now, per the thermometer, it is keeping the temp at 75 degrees. What is marine land ?
sunnydawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #24 
Punki

Acclimating is where you float the fish in the heated tank after a water change so that the water in its cup can become the same temperature as the temp in the tank. Sometimes temperature changes can shock the fish so its best to acclimate so they can have a gradual change.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #25 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydawnie View Post
What do you mean by acclimate correctly each time ? I assume walmart carries aquarium salt ? The fish store by my house is really expensive.

Also, please educate me- what is wrong with the type of heater I just bought ? Right now, per the thermometer, it is keeping the temp at 75 degrees. What is marine land ?
Betta need 76-80 degree temps.
Acclimating is letting the temperature of the water in your fish's cup adjust until it is the same as the temp of the water in your tank so that your fish does not go into shock. You should also let very small amounts of the new tank water into the floating cup at a time so your fish can adjust to the shift in ph and hardness that has resulted from the addition of the aquarium salt.

The type of heater she is speaking of heats more evenly and to the correct temperature without harsh fluctuations. That is why it is better than your current heater. Nothing says you have to buy the better heater, but it would be better for your fish.
I hope your fish gets better soon. I can tell you are worried about his health.
One of mine is also sick right now and I'm waiting on help as well...
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #26 
Arashi Takamine

I haven't read the entire thread but I would like to say this: Keep an eye out for raised scales, pale stripes and the color draining from his fins. It sounds like what started to my female before it turned into dropsy.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:46 PM   #27 
orphansparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydawnie View Post
you know, i had a heater not get up to the 78 degrees it was supposed to, and i returned it to walmart, and they didn't care. but then again, i also had a heater take about a week to start heating at a warm enough temp. weird huh? so either wait a while, and it might actually kick in, or walmart will let you return it i'm sure.

^_^
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #28 
PewPewPew

As Stated by others, its a better heater, a better bang for the buck. That extra few dollars is really worth it. The fact its only keeping your tank at 75 (a bit too low ) means it has already failed you, sadly.
Marineland is a brand, which makes fantastic products, including the sleek, small black 10w heater I'm taking about. Walmart will probably let you return the other.

Yes, they carry aq salt. Its great to have. It may come in a carton or in a container that sort of looks like one you'd expect vitamins in, hah.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #29 
Neil D

Haha vitamins for fish
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #30 
sunnydawnie

Goldie DOES NOT like the warmer water. It's around 75 degrees and he is no longer swimming around. In fact, yesterday I noticed as the water heated up, the less active he behaved. He seemed perfectly happy in the colder water and now he is just hanging out at the surface. He is no where near as active as he was in the colder water. As I type this, he is not swimming, just hanging. I don't think warm water is a good idea for him.

Last night I noticed one single scale looks like it is missing on top of his head. He's eating fine, but this warm water is making me nervous since he has had such a strong change in behavior immediately after heating the water.
sunnydawnie is offline   Reply With Quote