Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #1 
laughing

Help me choose plants! C:

Alright, I just got a brand spankin' new 10 gallon. By time I am done with it, I would enjoy it for it be fully planted! It will have sand as main substrate, then there will be a rise/"hill" where those compact pebble type substrate will be.

Name:  10gal.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  27.9 KB

I am starting with anacharis. Currently it shall be floated, later on, I will most likely place it into the substrate. One plant down!

Alright, next is baby tears. I find it to have such a peaceful look. Does anybody know where to find these?? Also, do you guys think it would look good draped over a terra cotta pot?? If not, should I place something on the sand for it to appear it is growing on the sand? OR, should I simply use moss? Keep in mind, this is a MAN'S tank! ;)

I would like to get some val, too. So basically I think I am aiming for a terra cotta pot covered in either baby tears or moss, then val, anacharis, and something else surrounding the pot. Crypts? Swords? What do you guys think?? Suggestions much appreciated!

On a last note, does anyone know what this plant is?

Name:  2011-05-24_16-30-34_621.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  48.2 KB
(Not the dark green "grass" one, the light green plant!)

It is THRIVING at my PetCo and is $3. Like, within a week it has over doubled in size. It is thick, gorgeous, and I would kill for it to be in my tank. I don't really know what it is, though. And there was a gorgeous potted plant in there that I Googled searched and it wasn't aquatic. O.o So I am skeptical until any of you can confirm!!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:06 AM   #2 
LeroyTheBetta

Congratulations on your new tank! If you're like me, you'll get it all set up and continue to find plants you want to add.... then you'll think "hmm, I think I need a bigger tank for my plants!" lol Or, you'll buy them anyway, knowing you don't have room, and float the new ones in your current tank, with the knowledge that you're blocking the light for your established plants.... then will still be back to thinking "hmm, I think I need a bigger tank for my plants!" hehehe

Anyway... I don't really know lots about the different plants (especially the ones I don't have), but that one in the photo COULD be pennywort. I bought some stems about 3 weeks ago, the shop assistant didn't know what it was, so I looked & looked at photos... the closest I got was pennywort. It looks similar to what I bought. I didn't have luck with it... it all melted. :(

You could also try a java fern or anubia. You'd want to attach these to either some driftwood or a rock, as the rhizome needs to be exposed and not under gravel or sand. They're both easy to care for and I believe that low lighting is fine for them. I attached my java fern to some driftwood using some fishing line. The roots eventually attach to whatever you've used.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #3 
laughing

I am wanting to attach something to the terra cotta pot! So perhaps I will attach an anubias and lay something on top of the sand for the baby tears to grow upon...? Hmm....

No, it is definitely not pennywort. Pennywort is too dark, the leaves are too large, and it just isn't grouped right. It is like water sprite-ish, except sprite has more narrow "leaves" and this one has like... more surface area leaves? LOL!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:17 AM   #4 
LeroyTheBetta

Here's my java fern...

This photo was a month or so ago, so the roots are thicker/denser now than the photo shows. The piece of wood is about 7" long, to give you an idea on overall size.

I was just thinking though that a java fern might get too big for your 10 gal. So, maybe a smaller variety of anubia... I think they grow very slowly and there are varieties that stay smaller, and some that get larger.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #5 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
It is like water sprite-ish, except sprite has more narrow "leaves" and this one has like... more surface area leaves? LOL!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #6 
laughing

I would have to "justify" to get a larger tank, LOL! Ya, I am considering some "nano" anubias types... Hmm...

And great desciptions, huh??

What about "Green Temples" anyone?
Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 AM   #7 
Wyvern

Im green with envy! Some of the plants your thinking of struggles to grow nicely in my tanks! Plus we dont seem to get such a big variety here :(
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #8 
nowzem

Ludwigia maybe...It reminds me of narrow-leaved ludwigia..but the color is wrong...? IDK Bacopa also comes to mind...

I have water lettuce in my sorority. My girls LOVE it cuz it floats. I also LOVE crypt. wendtii it grows in almost any condition and my bettas love hiding in its leaves. If I had only one plant it would be that!

You can get baby tears from liveaquaria.com. I love the way it looks! And I love java/christmas/flame moss. It looks so pretty!
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #9 
laughing

Ok so I am thinking of mainly having val with some crypt accents... I think I will try the wendtii.

So I should stick with baby tears? :3

I will see which plants grow better is a finer substrate.... that might decide for me! Lol!

Should I use jungle val?
Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #10 
nowzem

I also recommend moss...java/christmas/flame...its harder to find though.

Here are pics :)

Also, it is MUCH prettier IRL. A lovely spring green color. My camera phone just suc at taking pics! The smaller ones are in low light and are about the size you buy them (from PS like in the PM I sent ya) and there's 4 there. The larger one is about 3 weeks worth of growth with high lighting. That's 2 plants with 2 baby plants added today :)

Last is my bacopa. Its grown like crazy since I bought it :)
Attached Images

nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote