Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #1 
tsoto80

I did it!

Well I finally order my set of live plants. This is what I am getting

Banana Plant x2
Ozelot Sword x2
Temple, Narrow Leaf x4
Ludwigia, Broad x2

I am getting it from liveaquaria.com Hope I dont screw them up. Does anyone know about the temple narrow leaf? The required supplements the website mentioned seems complicated to follow

Thanks Pew and to others for providing all the great info
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Youre gonna loooovee the nana plants. Theyre so silly, I adore em.

I'll look up the other ones. Two Ive never heard of before, so woot!

<33 <333 <3333
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Sword:
"Even in low light they will retain their spots but the red coloring will be less intense. They do require a rich substrate with iron supplementation however, and benefit from liquid fertilization. In addition to liquids, I push half of a Jobes Plant Spike into the substrate at the base of all my swords about every month or two with good results. Other people report success by planting individual plants in plastic or clay pots full of potting soil that is covered with a layer of gravel, then placing them into the aquarium. "

Swords need a deepish substrate, so Id get a decent bit. Forget that iron rich substrate. Thats craziness. Get a good fertilizer (liquid) like Excel or Aqueon's kind, theyre good. Get them "root tabs" (try API's/ Flourish), which they need rarely C:

They can get really big, so prune it :) Try and keep the lights on for em, they'll like it. Florescent is the kind that grows plants. Youll really need at least some sorta fertilizer (and dose regularly) because swords eat up all the nutrients like piggies. Booo.

Your narrow leaf (a hygrophila) might shed all its leaves, which hygros do sometimes in new tanks, so dont be scared. Treat it like the sword :) It needs the same, and needs a good bit of light! Trim when needed. Theyre really pretty, I like them! :B

Ludwigia is sooo pretty, I love this stuff and might get it one day. Another member is new to it, too, I forget who though :c It likes much the same, sans the root tabs, which arent needed. It likes LOTS of light me thinks, so I hope you've got good lighting! :D Trim this sucker when it gets too big, because it will. It doesnt like too high of temps, 79'F is its max, really. Try and keep the tank 77-78' for all of them, or they may melt (exept the nana. Theyre tough.)

Add in a pinch (tsp) of epsom salt every few weeks for an extra punch of magnesium, which theyll need. Youre gonna need fertilizer, and I'd add a bit extra than the normal dose for your tank because the plants looove it. (ex, if they say add 5ml for 5 gallons, add like 7ml.) Make sure to re-dose the fertilizer a few times a week, so long as it says its ok on the label.

<3
Old 05-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #4 
tsoto80

so if I get one of those liquid fertilizer (Im thinking Aqueon) AND those tablets for the gravel then I should be all good? Put the swords in a small little pot (I plant them in regular ol potting soil?) or not, add epsom salt...every other week, and have have light so awsome that it blinds me lol the fertilizer in the last section is basically the liquid Aqueon right? Not something else extra?

(I am dumbing it down for myself so I clearly understand lol)

not sure what type of light bulb I have right now they look like regular ol lightbulbs (tubular kind) Ill compare it with the ones at the store...the plants wont get here untill next thursday (which sucks cause I paid for the extra fast shipping and forgot about the holiday) plus I have to qurintine them for a week so I have time to get the rest of the supplies. Instruction on those tabs said to add them once a month. Is that about right?

I been trying to find a good deal on java moss I need enough cause I got supplies to make that moss wall and I want to put it in for the dividers

I actually got the naners plant cause of how much you and a few others stated that they love them Im going to stay away from anacharis since so many are having problems with them
Old 05-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

Yeah, anacharis drives me nuts :c!
Yes, get both. I use that kind of liquid fertilizer and its great. The tabs are needed, and yes , like once a month.

I think the bulbs are incandescant, which is not what you need. If you can, try heading to walmart and look for a product from Lights of America. Its a 10w flouresant and is only $5 ish! Out has a 6500k rating which its what ofl has in hers. I own two of this kind And highly suggest it. Tubular too.

I wouldn't put them in pots. They have a huge root system and the pots will hinder it and kill them! Put the ludwigia if anything. You can try soil, but idk much about it. The swords will want 2-4 inches of gravel to chill in, so make a mound for them :B

The moss is cool, but it doesnt like too high of light, so it might be a bit unhappy in your tank, which should get at least 6-10 hrs a day of light. There are other mosses (christmas moss, etc) that are similar but might like light more.

I think I answered everything... If not let me know xD <3 when you get them pics pics! Even in qt B: Hehe.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

That Bulb btw is in the fish section.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #7 
fishman12

Nice! Good luck!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #8 
tsoto80

yea think that covered everything thanks I was just there they only had two different bulbs. One was in a hard plastic wasnt the tubular type was 10w the other said it is for plants it is tubular and the bulb was blue color and 15w from aqwuatach I believe. I may just go to ps or pc cause they have a better selection. I still got time for that. Different type of moss is fine with me Ill do mors research. Sounds good about the swords Ill make a mound. I may have more questions later after I get my plants on how to QT them but for now Ill read other threads about it. Thanks again! and thanks fishman :)
Old 05-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #9 
LeroyTheBetta

Hurray on your plants! They're addictive! I have more than I can fit in my 3 tanks, buying them when I know I have no where to put them! lol So, the goldfish get the extras just stuck in anywhere and I float some stems in the 3 tanks. Hmm, methinks another tank is needed <evil laughter> just for my plants. Gee, darn it (please note the sarcastic tone)... then I may have to get more fish! mwaaahhh hahahaha (such an evil cycle)

Oh, btw, photos please when you get it set up!

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 05-28-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #10 
tsoto80

I do have a question. When I quartine my plants what do I put it in? I now have an empty spare 5 gallon I was going to get rid of but should I just use it? Also should I keep the gravel thats in it or is that not nessary?

Lets say there was some critters on them while they are in qt how do I keep them from getting in the tank I want to put them in? Isnt that basically how the places we order from do? They have the plants in tanks before they ship it to us yet some people still get snails or worms?

sorry for the newb plant questions lol

and thanks Leroy! I do have a feeling they are going to be addictive but meh at least its a "good" addiction lol

Im so exicited yet scared at the same time!! My how we spoil our fish!