Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #1 
riese98

Is my bettas fin rotting?

I think my bettas fin is rotting, but not sure he lives in a vase thats maybe 1 or 2g. His fin is black a is smaller than his other one and it seems that it is missing peices. I am really worried because this is my first betta and i don't know what to do. Please help me and Nila.
riese98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #2 
riese98

Quote:
Originally Posted by riese98 View Post
I think my bettas fin is rotting, but not sure he lives in a vase thats maybe 1 or 2g. His fin is black a is smaller than his other one and it seems that it is missing peices. I am really worried because this is my first betta and i don't know what to do. Please help me and Nila.
Please anyone help.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

Can you post a pic

Need more information-
How much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite and amount and type of food, any tank mates, how long have you had him and how long has his fins been in bad shape, have your tried any treatments and any other symptoms other than the fins....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #4 
riese98

He eats normal and i clean his vase once every 2 weeks, but he has no heater and he does have some plants, but they are in a jar that then is put into the vase also no tank mates. I also live in Panama so it isn't easy to get treatments. I have had him for about 6 months now and i think that he had it the whole time but i just now found out that it could be something that will hurt him.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

To understand...the plants are in the vase with him and if so what kind...can you post a pic....

Water quality sounds like the biggest issue with water changes every 2 weeks...I would start with 50% water changes for 2 days then make a 100% water change-this is so you don't shock him with too big of chemistry change...then on a regular basis make twice weekly 1-50% and 1-100%....

Get a thermometer and check your water temp to rule this out as problematic....your goal is 76-80F....

What is the source water...city supple or well water...etc....what, if any, dechlorinator are you using......

To heal the fins-I can recommend two different treatments you can try depending on the stage....one is a fresh water treatment with 100% daily water changes for 7 days and the other is a salt treatment....depending on how bad the fins....if true rot...I would QT in a small container and start a 10day Aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes with the salt water and tannins if you have any...either IAL or dried Oak leaf will work for tannins

Get a 1gal jug of fresh dechlorinated water and add the salt 1tsp/gal and tannin and use this water for the 100% daily water changes while in a small QT container for 10days.....

Nutrition is really important-what kind of food and how much....
Old 05-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #6 
BettaRepublic

I don't reccomend dechorinators for such a small vase, and yeah, pics would help. I could TRY to get a free meds pack shipped over, but the chances for that are 55%. I'll try as hard as I can to help you.
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #7 
riese98

i feed him normal food its brand name is TetraO BettaMin two times a day.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaRepublic View Post
I don't reccomend dechorinators for such a small vase, and yeah, pics would help. I could TRY to get a free meds pack shipped over, but the chances for that are 55%. I'll try as hard as I can to help you.
Chlorine and chloramine are harmful to fish regardless of tank size.......
Old 05-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #9 
riese98

Thanks for trying to help me.
the plants aren't in the vase its in a jar and the vase is then in the vase.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Really need a pic.....