Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #1 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Talking I upped my filtration - up yours!

First of all, I apologize for the bad pun in the title, but I couldn't resist...

I had two problems in two tanks, as follows:

5 gallon, divided: side with filter clean and clear; side without filtration no water movement and scum forming on surface. Filter: Aqua-tech 5-15

20H: Algae, suspicous fishy smell. Filter: Tetra Whisper EX20.

In conjuction with a partial tank cleaning (removed algae and 25% water changes in both tanks), I decided to double the filteration in both tanks.

First, I retired the Aqua Tech 5-15 (thoughly took apart the filter, cleaned with weak bleach solution, througly rinsed and let air dry). It's now in storage as an emergency back up.

Next, I took the Tetra Whisper EX 20 and moved it to the 5 gallon. I added extra plants to buffer the current. Two days out and no scum formation (which was almost immediate with the old filter), and there is water circulation on the none filter side. Yay!

Then, the 20H got a new Tetra whisper EX45, which doubled the Gph. Again, I buffered the outflow with plants, and everything is fine. Going forward, I'll be interested in seeing how the increased filtration impacts water quality...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #2 
Diana S

I thought your bun was funny.it got my eye .And made me laugh.lol And I'm a christian.
When setting up my 55 .I could find any whisper.Not alot of places here in Ozarks.Diana S
Diana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #3 
laughing

That's odd, my Aqua Tech 5-15 filtered my 20 gallon like crazy. Always crystal clear water, no scum, no algae, etc.

I'm considering using this for my 10 gallon though, since it has been filtering my 5 gallon. I'm considering placing the Whisper 3i into the 5 gallon because there is barely any fish in there and is already cycled so I would need minimum water movement.

I hope your new filters work!! :D
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #4 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Diana S.: Thanks! Glad you got a laugh. :)
Try online for the tetras; I got mine through Petsmart, on sale...

laughing: The Aquatech was adequate for the 5 gallon until I divided it. The divider has lots of little holes but needed increased water pressure to circulate water through divider.

I have the 'old' design Aquatech, btw. Maybe new design is stronger? IDK.

Thank you - I hope the filters work too! :)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #5 
laughing

I am moving my Aqua-Tech into my new 10 gallon and placing the Whisper into the 5 gallon. (Temporarily, as I am trying to move those fish into a different 10g as well.)

We'll see if this works for me!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #6 
derpmeister

I'm looking for an awesome filter for my 10 gallon. If I were to get the Tetra Whisper EX 20, would I be able to tape on a plastic bottle buffer? That's what I'm using on my lousy Top Fin 10 filter-- there's always scum on the top of the water despite my good cleaning habits.
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #7 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

derpmeister,

I'm not familar with with the top fin filter, so I'm not sure...

Do a search on the internet for the Tetra Whisper EX20. That way you'll see what it looks like.

I'm baffling mine with fluval foam and pantyhose/nylons :)
Old 05-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #8 
tsoto80

Is that the filter that goes inside the tank water?
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #9 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Tosoto80,

The Tetra Whisper EX20 is a power filter that hangs on the back of the tank. The water return is a waterfall; there is no flow adjuster.

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetr...=1276&cid=3611 to see what the filter looks like.*

*Just because I own two tetra whispers does not mean I endorse them over other filtration systems. It's what came with my 20H tank, and what I could afford.

An interesting note for anyone using these filters: they need to be taken apart and cleaned every couple of months. I mean totally taken apart. Otherwise, the water flow is reduced by filter slime and eventually, the filter will stop working altogether. Once it is cleaned properly and reassembled, they start up again.

The increase in filtration not only maintains a cleaner tank, but can also increase your stocking ability - however, I would err to the side of caution if you are a beginner. A highly stocked tank can cause a plethora of problems for you fish (and you), and believe me, it's better to prevent illness than try to correct it.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:10 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I love the pun! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote