Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #1 
coquigretch

Help!!!

Against all better judgement, I was doing a water change on my kitchen counter, which involved rinsing off plastic plants with hot water, and Mr. Jack Sparrow decided to jump out of the aquarium, and into the sink, which was empty, but hot. From there, he slid down into the garbage disposal. I picked him out of there and put him back in the tank. He is currently laying on his side, breathing very heavily, and looking a lot worse for wear, as you can imagine.

What do I do?? Is there hope? Also, I have a cory catfish in the tank with him. Any help/advice would be much appreciated! I don't want to lose my betta!
coquigretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Keep His tank very dark. Remove his tank mate (which is another matter, he shouldn't have a cory unless in 10 gallons and needs at least 2 friends)
Lower the water level for your fish. Put him in his cup, better yet. Tomorrow, do a gentile water change and add 1 tsp/gallon of aquarium salt, to ward off infection caused by his fall and stress.

Keep his tank temp as stable as possible to lower his stress level, and keep it quiet and very dark. Offer food tomorrow if he seems happy and feeling better.

I'm sorry that happened.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #3 
coquigretch

Talking

Thanks for your help with this. He is actually looking miraculously healthy today! Still not eating, but swimming around and responsive.

I did as you recommended and I also added some "Betta Remedy". I read that a tank on the warm side helps boost the immune system, which has been easy since it's so hot out in DC! Hopefully this combination will do the trick.

Thanks again! I'll keep you posted.
coquigretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #4 
kumi

What a story!! I'm happy he's doing better!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

What Is betta remedy? Lots of "betta" medicines dont work, so dont be fooled.
I wouldn't exceed 80, because if he has injuries (which you probably can't see), they will grow worse in high temps. Aim for 76-78.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote