Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #1 
zeeby

Is he sick or just bored?

My betta Boo used to be pretty active always exploring and flaring at his reflection, now all he does is laze around. I checked the water temperature as well as the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels and all is well. He is still eating but that is all he bothers to do. Also, when I first got him he was totally white and now he has pinkish stripes on his tail, is that bad or just a natural change? Sorry for the long post, I am just worried about my little Boo.
zeeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #2 
Sakura8

How long have you had him? If it hasn't been long, then this probably means he is just settling into his new home. If the pinkish stripes ever turn red and his tail starts to look jagged like large pieces are falling off, then he has fin rot. Otherwise, I would say the pink is part of his natural coloration coming out now that he is comfortable. If you're worried that he's bored, you can get him a Zoo Med Betta Log to play in - my guy loves his.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #3 
newbie32

My fish is the same way. Incredibly active at first and now all he does is either lay down on the gravel or lay in his favorite plant. He swims fine, but he just doesn't do a lot of it. I just ordered a new heater. I don't think the temp's the problem, but I am going to raise the temp with the new heater when it gets here. Oh, and my fish doesn't have any lines. He's almost completely red. I guess if he had those lines, I would'nt be able to see them anyway.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #4 
zeeby

I've had him for a couple months now, he has grown quite a bit so I am thinking the coloration is just him growing up and filling out. All he does is sit on his betta hammock or the large root that keeps him near the surface. I've read somewhere on here that you can put ping pong balls in the tank to amuse them, is that ok?
zeeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Don't see why not, as long as they're clean. I know they frequently put ping pong balls in the tanks of cichlids like Oscars and Jack Dempseys.

Well . . . they do say bettas are the more sedate and sedentary kind of fish. Sounds like your guy just likes to lounge. If he had a little TV, he'd be flipping through the channels while lazing on his hammock.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote