Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #1 
Creat

Question Maximizing number of fry?

Hey guys I am putting a lot of effort into my next spawn I am thinking I want to try a half sun or plain HM however I really want to buy a true HM female off aquabid (or from somewhere else) that I can use. But to make it worth it I really want to raise a large number of healthy fry (around 50). Right now the number of fry I raise is between 20-5. I assume its because its due to fish that are older, first timers, I use a more natural method and I am usually not trying to raise a huge number I have to deal with. Usually the breeding tank is about 82*F and I want to do a bare bottom tank breeding. Is there any tricks you guys us or anything you can think of that I am missing?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IMO there is no real "trick" to a successful spawn. Everything works differently for everyone. In my case, old aged water works best (hundreds) while new clean water gives me mostly 0 fry.

Water seems to be the main determinant because perfect water would make fry eat. Most important is getting fry to eat during their first week after free swimming. The faster they grow, the easier it is to feed other bigger food. So if you have test kits, make sure the water is perfect.

Again in my case older pairs, whether veteran or newbie produce stronger fry compared to young 4 month old. They also produce more eggs - better chance of getting more fry. I often push my luck and use young pairs so I can back cross to parents. But I always get below 30 fry to adult (mostly below 10).

So you need to find what works best for you - planted or bare (literally nothing in the tank). I usually use plenty of plants. But lately I'm having water problems so I would take out most of the plants so I could see everything and spot any problems as soon as it occurs.

Good Luck!
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #3 
Creat

Thank you usually for my bare-bottom its about half full with a dense mat of java moss. And I will try aged water that might be my issue cause I use clean water. And the parents I might be planning I want to be about 6 months old. Do you think this will work age wise? And growing them out is usually fine but lately I can only get just a few fry to free swimming.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

I don't know what your budget is like but according to some old time breeders I know getting an ultraviolet aquarium sterilizer to treat the water before hand has made worlds of difference. They basically kill all the little bugs in the water.. things like velvet. The problem is they are very pricey. The cheapest I've seen is like $90.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

6 months is good, they should be close to if not already fully grown. So you should get more eggs. And they should be more "mature" - character wise.

Why only few to free swimming? Is the father an egg eater? If he is, try putting him in a different than usual tank environment. It worked for me ... 4 of them did.

I double 1f2f. Or you could put the water under direct sun

Last edited by indjo; 06-13-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 AM   #6 
Creat

One father was an egg eater another one just didnt have many sterile eggs I guess... not sure why I might try him again he was a good dad other then that oh he also ate fry :( but I think I will give him another chance he was being very good about guarding the nest.
and i am saving actually for a uv sterilizer I have always thought it would be a great thing to have

Last edited by Creat; 06-13-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

It took one of mine 5 times before I got fry. Hope yours don't take that long.

Father eating fry (not eggs), in my case was more due to disturbance than psychotic. Use shallow water level - about 3" only. Try not to disturb him too much and cover the tank (all of it). Only peek to to see their development. Take him out as soon as fry are free swimming or before fry are free swimming (after all have hatched). Put some small leaved plants under them until they are free swimming (if you take out daddy early). Strong fry should make it without daddy.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #8 
Creat

okay I will try that... it may have been a disturbance but there seemed to be many eggs few fertilized about maybe 20 hatched and by the time they reached free swimming there were 5... I really like this boy I might try the same couple again with the plants...