Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #1 
Anima Bella

Dark Edges on Fins...Possible Fin Rot?

At the end of school, about a week ago, my friend gave me his betta fish (he could not take him home with him). He had been in a .5 gallon tank, and I could tell that it was not cleaned very frequently...I bought a small Kritter Keeper (9"L x 6"W x 8"H, not sure of size in gallons) for him, and put him in water that stays at about 75*F. I've been doing 50% water changes every 2 days.

I just noticed that he has dark edges on his fins, and I'm worried that he is developing fin rot...can anybody tell me if I'm right (or if I'm just paranoid)? If he does have fin rot, what do I use to treat it?

Sorry the picture is a little blurry...I tried to get the clearest one I could. :/
Attached Images

Anima Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 AM   #2 
metalbetta

That doesn't look like fin rot to me... But if you're really worried about it, watch his fins for a couple of days, and if it looks like they're getting more ragged and getting eaten away, then use aquarium salt at the dosage listed on the carton in order to cure it.
Welcome to the forum, by the way. :)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:05 AM   #3 
Anima Bella

Thank you :)

I'm getting a 5-gallon tank for him next week, and then I can do the setup I want, hahaha :)
Old 05-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

To Tell the tank size in gallons, its lwh /231.
In a 1.8 gal (yours) I'd do a 50% every other day and a 100% I've a week, which you need.

If paranoid, do a 100% change every other day, with proper acclimation. You will need a heater for your 5 gallon. You need one now, so if itll take more than a week for that tank, id get one. Fluctuating, low temps cause stress, which can leave the fish open to rot.

I can't really tell if its rot, but the tips seem a little weird to me.
Watch for a bit, keep us posted.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #5 
Anima Bella

The tips of his fins do seem to be looking more ragged, so tomorrow I'm heading to the store and getting aquarium salt (and a heater while I'm at it). I'd rather be safe than sorry. He's still SUPER active though, which is awesome. :)