Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 12:54 AM   #1 
turtle10

Feeling like a you-know-what.

I feel terrible. After treating my guppy for two days for Swim Bladder issues, I had to euthanize her today. She had been swimming wobbily but when I woke up this morning she was floating on her back. Her swim bladder was so buoyant that the bottom of her tummy stuck out of the water. She looked scared and was panting.

DO NOT KEEP READING IF YOU ARE FAINT OF HEART….

I didn't have any clove oil, so I had to decapitate, the only humane thing I could do. I scooped her into a little cup and lay her down on a wet napkin. I took the knife and tried to cut. I don't know if the knife was dull or the fish was just tough but it took a few tries, and she was alive for most of it :(. I feel like a cruel torturer, I can't even imagine what it must have been like. I really hope for her sake that I was just imagining the movements. I keep telling myself that I had no other choice and that once I made the first attempt at cutting I had to follow through. I wish I could repay the fish world for my blunder somehow :(

I am just so upset over this.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #2 
laughing

You had to do it. Living a life in pain and panic without ability to move isn't a life. You did the right thing! It is just sad there aren't 'professionals' like vets to call out for this... well, inexpensively...

I am sorry you had to suffer that! ;(
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:47 AM   #3 
turtle10

I know she is in a better place now.

And this is so random, but I literally just found three kittens by the bar by my apartment.. they are in my bathroom now. So maybe this is my way to give back to animals? I was on my balcony and they were just meowing and meowing.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:40 AM   #4 
laughing

It might just be! The universe (or God, if you believe) are giving you a chance. :)

Random, too, but on the way to a friends tonight, I saw a coyote, and my bf tried catching it to keep it as a pet, LOL. Of course it just ran off, but it was funny!

Any pics of the kitties?! ;D
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:25 AM   #5 
copperarabian

what does clove oil do? I always hear people talking about it, but it seems like quick decapitation might be faster, but since I don't what the oil does I wouldn't know for sure :(

I hope I'm never in the situation where I need to put down a pet fish :(
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:07 AM   #6 
Punki

O my, i just had to put my little betta girl down an hour ago by decapitation as well and though i did one quick movement i happened to look down, i saw movement also, i hope it was just nerves.... I ended up cutting again and then turning the knife backwards and hitting her just in case and still, in my mind i saw movement, i wrapped her up and walked away in a state of shock. Lets hope and pray its just fishy nerves and we took them out of their misery. Im going to buy clove oil asap though in case my boy ever gets sick and uncurable. And im feeling that horrible feeling as if im a murderer or something, i feel so guilty, i guess its normal for us to feel like this. I hope we never have to do it again and i hope you feel better soon. I keep telling myself it was the right thing, and deep down it was, and the same goes for you. Itll be okay...
Copper, if done correctly clove oil makes the fish fall asleep within seconds and sink. then you can add the right amount more of clove oil to make usre it never wakes, some add vodka after the oil, and some decapitate after the clove oil. It just makes them unconsious so they wont be stressed or scared.

Last edited by Punki; 05-31-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 AM   #7 
copperarabian

that's definitely better then, anything to make them less scared :( I'll definitely buy some the next time i see it....
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #8 
SillyCone

Aww.. Don't feel bad about it really =/

I know you must be suffering a lot for your loss but at least was a quick death than leaving her to die in her tank.

I bet she knows you tried your best to ease her pain, so you should at least feel relieved that she's in a better place now. =]

Don't read if you can't handle "gore"-ish stuff.

-------------------------------

Might be a bit off topic but I remember once when I was around 10, we went to one of those fishing clubs, they had small ponds we could fish the whole day, if you wanted those fishes you could just put on a box or something and they would charge you for him and that's it...

Well, I used to LOVE fishing, I still miss it, but I feel so sorry for the fishes that I don't do it anymore, but anyway;

In the end of the day at the cue for taking the fishes home (to eat), I saw them opening the fishes, cleaning their skin and everything while they were still alive!

I wasn't taking any fish home, but I remember I ran to the guy and yelled at him almost crying "Sir, sir, those poor fishies are still alive! They are feeling pain, can you kill them first, please?" The guy just thought it was cute of me and smiled, then replied "They don't feel pain sweetie" then I saw the fishes without any organs inside still breathing and looking at me scared for their lives... Still gives me the chills remembering it. >_>!

Anyway, you gave your poor betta a quick death, the range of being alive after the decapitation is for 5 seconds most in the head only. So yeah, don't feel bad, I think decapitation is better than the freezing technique in my opinion, but yeah, you need to "cold-blood" kill it. :c
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #9 
kathstew

I'm sorry Turtle. You did your best. I'm sure she appreciated all you've done for her. She was in pain, and it had to be done. I know you feel bad know, but it was for the best. And I'm glad you did it in a humane way.

As for the kittens, I'm glad you found them! Maybe it IS a way for you to repay the animal world. Take good care of them!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #10 
Bettaluver4evr

Please don't feel bad. I'm sure the poor dear was already in a lot of pain from the bloat and disease, but you know what? You took it away, and saved her from more pain and suffering and a slow death. You did the right thing! I love kittens. I have 2 cats, Tiger and Midnight. ;) Yes, lol, I know. But they are soooo dear to me! My favorite cat, Maxxamillion, had to be put down at just 5 years old last october, and I cried alllllll day. I couldn't stop crying. It was awful! I know what it's like. Please take good care of the kittens!
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote