Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #1 
Punki

tanks too hot

Is there a temperature that is TOO HOT for a betta? I dont have a heater in the tanks because i live in Florida and they are in a non-airconditioned area of the house. Yesterday it was VERY hot out and when i checked my3 gallons temp it was 84. Usually its about 76 at night and 80 in the day but going past 82 scares me. Even putting my hand in the water it felt luke warm, not cool. Should i do anything to cool it? Is this okay? The tank sits out of sunlight in a dark corner and the room temp at the time was about 87 degrees.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #2 
SillyCone

put a plastic cup with some ice on it so it will cool down the water... >_>!

Water cooler usually is kinda expensive, unless you put a computer water cooler O.o'
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #3 
Punki

At the time i just panicked and filled the tub with cool water and sat their tanks in there for about 10 minutes and got it back down to 80. By then the sun was setting so it stayed at 78 all night. Im just worried the temp change from 84 to 80 in ten minutes may be too fast =x
Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #4 
Punki

They didnt seem bothered, very active, i guess the warmth gives them extra energy XD
But i worry if parasites or diseases may like the temp being that hot as well.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #5 
SillyCone

actually is the opposite, the warm water usually kills the parasites :P

But if it's too hot they will "boil" your fish too, so it's kinda worrying.

You can try to go to those tech shops and ask for water cooling system for pcs and try to assemble it at the fish tank, is will be cheaper than an aquarium cooler.

----------------

edit: my brother is a pc geek, I will ask him once he comes back, don't worry :P
Old 05-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

I keep my bettas at room temperature but in the summer during the day when i am at work we don’t use air conditioner and the temperature 80-81*until we home and then we put air conditioner.
I know if it too worm there is greater chance of the fungal infections, so i just change the water more often in the summer.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

What I do when I accidentally get the water a little too hot during 100% water change on my smaller tanks..I get a ziplock bag and fill it with a few ice cubes and let it float in the tank...This may work for your tanks as well..They do sell special water coolers but...they're pretty expensive..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #8 
Punki

Okay so floating ice in something is okay then. I was a bit worried itd make really cold spots. Whould they be okay in the tank while its floating? Today is showing to be a hot day as well and they are holding at 80 degrees atm but if they rise anymore im going to wrap some cold wet towels on each tank and just keep a close eye, maybe putting a fan in the room will make it alittle cooler.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

My 13g tank with submersible pumps is about 32C (89,6F) and the ones without pumps are about 30C (86F) during hot days and they're doing fine. As long as 1. the temp doesn't fluctuate drastically 2. it's not too hot or too cold for long periods (like 1 week).

I'm not saying that such temp is good for them. I'm just saying that you don't have to worry.

Ice in plastic bags is OK. In fact the bettas may even rest right next to it. Just remember not to use too many and make temp drop drastically.

Last edited by indjo; 05-20-2011 at 02:00 PM.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #10 
SillyCone

What if you put the ice on the filter room? :V