Originally Posted by sunnydawnie
Um, everyone dressing the same way to go to school DOES sound Chinese. Communists want conformity so they can control society. (Private schools here in the US want conformity too so that the particular school has a certain image and code of conduct.)
No, this is really ignorant. This is not the reason (at least the main one) for uniforms in ANY country. This makes me wonder if you understand what communism is...no offense :/
Conformity appears in ALL societies, not just in OMG!COMMUNIST ones. Why do you think such words like "Hipster" or "Goth/Emo/Scene" exist? Along with the people who identify with them? Society also "controls" these people through fashion, media and other sources of entertainment. People are naturally drawn to conformity from Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and the need to be accepted among peers. Understandably, actual communism is different, but conformity is not its defining feature.
Conformity =/= no free will. EVERYBODY conforms otherwise you will have a nice cozy spot in PRISON.
People in the military wear uniforms, I think they are the LAST people who want to hear that they are communist and conformist because they wear uniform.
Communism is a form of conformity, but not all conformity is Communist.
Coming from a uniformed school in China, and a private school in Canada the reason why a lot of Asian cultures (China/HK/Japan/Korea) and private schools wear uniforms are for these reasons in descending order of importance:
1. Respect for self and others around you: Dressing up in uniform appropriately and properly (and cleanly) shows how much respect you have for yourself, your appearance and your school
2. Safety: Kids ditching school or who get into trouble on the way to or from school are easily identified as students of a particular school and authority figures will notice you and help you out, or take you back to your particular school if you're ditching. (Never seen this in Canada but they do it in HK and Japan). Also for the safety (like in this conversation) of girls being harassed by guys. Contrary to popularized anime shows, girls' skirts are not short at all. Also, sometimes if you have designer clothes, people would literally steal them OFF of your body, uniforms eliminate this danger immediately.
3. Behaviour: Everybody who wears a uniform agrees to a certain code of conduct or behaviour. It isn't super strict such as you can't even pass wind without permission. Just behave yourself, it isn't difficult.
4. Transportation systems (Asia Specific Reason, or maybe western too): Discounts to students going to school. You have to be in uniform and show your student card or else you have to pay full price (it was worth the discount)
5. Pride (Asia Specific Reason, or maybe western too): It shows others that your parents can afford to send you to a good school, depending on what your uniform looked like.