Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #221 
sunnydawnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
"

True, there are cultural differences. Back at the turn of the 20th century, most American women were pretty well covered-up... if the men got a glimpse of a naked ankle or a dress with a bare back, they got pretty worked up! Women even wore swim dresses that covered them to the top of the calf - scandalous, lol!

I think the boys and girls should be dressed in orange prison outfits - pants and smock. No make up, hair dye, piercings, jewlery or visable tatoos for any of them. Standard issue prision footwear. Eight hours of solid learning a day.

And maybe then the next generation of American kids won't grow up to be slaves to the Chinese, selling their body parts for the things they want/need...

Um, everyone dressing the same way to go to school DOES sound Chinese. Communists want conformity so they can control society. (Private schools here in the US want conformity too so that the particular school has a certain image and code of conduct.) When I was in the Honduras, their schools also require the children to wear a uniform. The sad thing there is that many families cannot afford the uniform, so they CAN'T go to school. There's no mandatory school requirements like here so they are SOL.
sunnydawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #222 
Littlebittyfish

We had clothing guidelines when I went to school...No shorts or skirts shorter than hand length..Shoes had to be under 4" high..with backs on them ..no flip flops..and shirt straps had to be 3-4 fingers wide. I always thought the last one was sort of stupid. I think how low the shirt is cut would make more sense...Just because its a spaghetti strap doesn't mean it's showing more..I wear strapless shirts that cover up more than some peoples low cut teeshirts..haha
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #223 
LolaQuigs

I went to an all-girls high school, and we had to wear uniforms. We had to wear the plaid skirt and either a white or navy polo with the school's crest on it. We also had an approved list of sweatshirts. My Freshman year we had to wear "oxford" shoes, but they changed the rules when I was a sophomore, allowing tennis shoes except on dress uniform days. But they weren't strict about "accessories," we could wear whatever jewelry and makeup we wanted, we could have our hair however we wanted, and we could have facial piercings as long as they weren't excessive. Even though we were all wearing the same thing, you could still pretty much tell who was goth, who was punk, who was preppy, who was a stoner, etc.

I liked wearing a uniform, I could roll out of bed at the very last minute since I didn't have to worry about what to wear (and judging by how common it was to find girls with unbrushed hair at my school, I'd say I definitely wasn't the only one). Plus I didn't have a lot of clothes and they definitely weren't "stylish," so I didn't have to worry about being teased because my clothes weren't cute or because I was wearing the same thing all the time.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #224 
vaygirl

I always kinda envied the uniform thing. I would have liked to roll out of bed knowing what I was gonna put on. :) But then, the grass is always greener. The only schools we had in PA that had uniforms were catholic schools.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #225 
1fish2fish

Lol.. I roll out of bed EVERY morning not worrying about it. I put on whatever my hand touches first unless I'm feeling pretty.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #226 
vaygirl

Well, yeah, I do NOW. When I was in school I put more thought into it. All I wear now are jeans and tshirts. Standard uniform. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #227 
dramaqueen
Banned

Jeans and t shirts are all I wear, too. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #228 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydawnie View Post
Um, everyone dressing the same way to go to school DOES sound Chinese. Communists want conformity so they can control society. (Private schools here in the US want conformity too so that the particular school has a certain image and code of conduct.)
No, this is really ignorant. This is not the reason (at least the main one) for uniforms in ANY country. This makes me wonder if you understand what communism is...no offense :/

Conformity appears in ALL societies, not just in OMG!COMMUNIST ones. Why do you think such words like "Hipster" or "Goth/Emo/Scene" exist? Along with the people who identify with them? Society also "controls" these people through fashion, media and other sources of entertainment. People are naturally drawn to conformity from Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and the need to be accepted among peers. Understandably, actual communism is different, but conformity is not its defining feature.

Conformity =/= no free will. EVERYBODY conforms otherwise you will have a nice cozy spot in PRISON.

People in the military wear uniforms, I think they are the LAST people who want to hear that they are communist and conformist because they wear uniform.

Communism is a form of conformity, but not all conformity is Communist.

Coming from a uniformed school in China, and a private school in Canada the reason why a lot of Asian cultures (China/HK/Japan/Korea) and private schools wear uniforms are for these reasons in descending order of importance:
1. Respect for self and others around you: Dressing up in uniform appropriately and properly (and cleanly) shows how much respect you have for yourself, your appearance and your school

2. Safety: Kids ditching school or who get into trouble on the way to or from school are easily identified as students of a particular school and authority figures will notice you and help you out, or take you back to your particular school if you're ditching. (Never seen this in Canada but they do it in HK and Japan). Also for the safety (like in this conversation) of girls being harassed by guys. Contrary to popularized anime shows, girls' skirts are not short at all. Also, sometimes if you have designer clothes, people would literally steal them OFF of your body, uniforms eliminate this danger immediately.

3. Behaviour: Everybody who wears a uniform agrees to a certain code of conduct or behaviour. It isn't super strict such as you can't even pass wind without permission. Just behave yourself, it isn't difficult.

4. Transportation systems (Asia Specific Reason, or maybe western too): Discounts to students going to school. You have to be in uniform and show your student card or else you have to pay full price (it was worth the discount)

5. Pride (Asia Specific Reason, or maybe western too): It shows others that your parents can afford to send you to a good school, depending on what your uniform looked like.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #229 
LolaQuigs

I don't mean to change the subject or go all political, but communism does not necessitate conformity. It may be true that certain strains of communism and communist governments advocate conformity, but individual expression and communism as an economic/social philosophy are not mutually exclusive. There are many schools of thought under the umbrella of communism.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #230 
1fish2fish

Very nice post bahamut. very nice.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote