Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #581 
Shimizoki

I'm starting to understand that you have seen some horrible things OFL, and for that I am sorry. I prefer to look at both sides and am blessed that I have not seen the torments that make you so quick to judge.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #582 
AngelicScars

He is rough with her(not intentionally, kids tend to be more rough then they realize), but not to the point of pain. She has never yelped and we get him to stop messing with her once we notice him messing with her. She has always been fine with him. He hasn't done anything different, but she is reacting now. She isn't a big dog, but she isn't tiny. She is about 18lbs. of boston terrier.

I also agree, dogs aren't disposable. I don't want to just up and get rid of her, but the safety of my children are top priority. I could keep her, but the only way I'd feel safe with her in the same house with my kids is keep her separated and that just isn't fair to her. I certainly don't want to wait and see if she'll actually hurt my kids, it's not responsible as a parent. I love my pets, but I'm a mom before I'm a pet owner.
I hope everyone understands that.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #583 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
He is rough with her(not intentionally, kids tend to be more rough then they realize), but not to the point of pain. She has never yelped and we get him to stop messing with her once we notice him messing with her. She has always been fine with him. He hasn't done anything different, but she is reacting now. She isn't a big dog, but she isn't tiny. She is about 18lbs. of boston terrier.

I also agree, dogs aren't disposable. I don't want to just up and get rid of her, but the safety of my children are top priority. I could keep her, but the only way I'd feel safe with her in the same house with my kids is keep her separated and that just isn't fair to her. I certainly don't want to wait and see if she'll actually hurt my kids, it's not responsible as a parent. I love my pets, but I'm a mom before I'm a pet owner.
I hope everyone understands that.
I would do the same. My sister in law had a half pit that was very aggressive which I did not trust at all. It finally took her charging at the neighbors dog for her to go to the pound. Normaly I do not agree with taking animals to the pound however if they are aggressive once they will be aggressive twice....
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #584 
vaygirl

That's too bad Angelic. I remember when you were looking for 'the dog'. :( Sorry it didn't work out.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #585 
Shimizoki

That's completely understandable Angelic, I don't believe they are known to be aggressive dogs. Because of that I would imagine that something recently has triggered the reaction. Has this happened once or on multiple occasions?

I understand your responsibility as a parent and respect whatever choice you make, I just always hate to see animals be sent away when a small bit of training might fix the problem. (My parents got rid of a dog that shredded furniture rather than training it not to. The guy we gave it to said he trained the dog not to do it in like 3 days.) I do realize children > furniture.

And we had a pit for the longest time and it was the sweetest dog in the world. They get such a bad rep because they CAN be aggressive.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #586 
Oldfishlady

I understand and agree.......AngelicScars........and Shimizoki....I hope you never have to see what I have seen either...but its just part of working in the medical field....

I love all animals and save lots of them too and maybe why I can also be called the crazy cat lady....lol.....got near 30 of them....lol......and this summer I am getting the pleasure of hand rearing a baby opossum...awesome little critter that I dread releasing back to the wild...but I will..... because its the right thing to do and she was meant to be free....good thing I live in the woods....lol......you can see pic of her in my album...Miss Pepper.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #587 
AngelicScars

Nothing has changed to trigger it, no. I'm sorry you can't wrap your head around that. I believe that she wasn't treated all that well before we got her and I believe the previous owner was not 100% honest with us.
For one, she wasn't fixed (we were told she was). She is a bit nervous at times and we've attempted to break that, but it's a lot of work that I cannot put into (I was never warned of this nervousness issue).
Once again, there is no way I'm going to attempt to train or fix her snapping issue if it means putting my kids at risk daily to do so.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #588 
dramaqueen
Banned

Angelic, I don't blame you. Your children's safety comes first. It's too bad thginbgs turned out that way.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #589 
laughing

I really believe it is the rough play triggering it, and I bet she was giving signs (growling isn't always the sign, whites of eyes, position of tail, etc can be) but I fully understand. If your children are older than a toddler, you want them to be able to interact and not be separated all day until you can specifically monitor. Not every dog owner (including children) can spot such subtle signals before bites, it isn't worth having her with the chance of another bite.

Personally, I see this bite, you keep the dog, behavior continues, another bite, children treating the dog bad because it bites, etc. It will just turn out bad no matter what.

Try and find a good home for her and don't drop her off at a pound/rescue. Your situation isn't fatal, she can be separated or monitored for a bit until a home is found.

Fact is, some dogs have higher tolerances and better bite inhibition than others. This one seems to have mild tolerance, and by what you've said, you need a high tolerance dog who isn't going to snap even when being harassed. You'll find it!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #590 
Shimizoki

Just got a call from my Aunt... My mom passed out and is in the hospital. I know nothing about her condition. I think she is awake now and thats it. Ugh... its her job to worry about me not the other way around... what does she think shes doing.