Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #591 
AngelicScars

If the "rough play" triggered it, then why did it take 6 months to trigger it?

Also, it wasn't a bite really, it was warning nips. No broken skin. I know that it could escalate down the road. I do know a little bit about dog behaviors. It's not like this is the first dog I've ever owned okay.

@Shimizoki I'm sorry about your mom I hope everything is okay!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #592 
1fish2fish

If it was a first offense snap there are many things that could trigger it... one of them is an unknown health factor that could potentially be causing pain. But if it's repeated behavior it's unlikely that is it.

Boston terriers are very sensitive dogs and I would not recommend having one in a house with young children. One more than one ocassion my sister's boston aggressed towards her daughter for being too rough, picking him up when he didn't want to be picked up, etc. even after being told by her Mom to leave him alone. Now that she's older and knows how to act correctly around dogs the two of them are best buddies.

I agree however the best option is to rehome the dog unless you're 100% committed to the dog and resolving it's issues to the best of you're ability.

Unfortunately all dogs have one issue or another. The owner has to be fully committed to training and working with the dog each and every day to make it work. For some people thats just not an option for one reason or another and the dog ends up in a shelter or rehomed... if it's lucky. That's the true reason behind the "overpopulation" of dogs in shelters.

And just to be clear I don't mean that as a disparaging remark to you Angelic. Not at ALL. I don't know enough about you or the situation to make any judgment one way or the other. It's just a matter of fact.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #593 
AngelicScars

Completely understand. I wouldn't just toss her on the streets or put her in a shelter. I'd definitely take my time to find a proper home for her.
Bostons are known to be good with kids of all ages. Also, the woman I adopted her from said she was great with kids and grew up around the 4 she had.
She adores my 5.5 year old too.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #594 
Shimizoki

@Angelic... during the time you are looking to re-home you could try training? Maybe that is just enough time to fix the problem. I am glad you are looking for a real home and not a shelter.

Update:
My mother is being prep'd for emergency surgery because she has an ovarian cyst/tumor. She is going to have to lose one. She will be hospitalized for several days. Shimi is not in his happy place.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #595 
Oldfishlady

Positive thoughts and prayers sent to Shimi and mom........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #596 
vaygirl

I'm really sorry about your Mom, Shimi. :( I hope she gets well quickly and doesn't have a rough time of it.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #597 
Shimizoki

Thanks guys, it really means a lot to me. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #598 
1fish2fish

I'm so sorry Shimi.

If its any consolation my sister went through similar surgery and pulled through it just fine. Its a hard road ahead but I have only positive thoughts for you and you're Mom. I also am sending positive thoughts that the biopsy comes up benign for the tumor.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #599 
LolaQuigs

Best wishes for your mom's speedy recovery Shimizoki!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #600 
Shimizoki

I just got a bit more info... apparently a tumor isn't classified as an emergency in that location. However hers ruptured causing her to bleed internally. I'll be heading over tomorrow morning, My dad is heading over now.

@1fish Its good to know that she pulled through just fine, however the fact that there is another person who had to go through this isnt comforting :(