Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #631 
vaygirl

Thanks guys! This helps me remember that it works if I stick to what I need to stick to and ignore the fact that there's a McDonalds 4 blocks away!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #632 
Shimizoki

Mom took a turn for the worse... I probably wont be on much for the next few days. They found a second clot that somehow has destroyed her ability to create platelets. Without platelets a cut will never stop bleeding (so I understand). so even little nicks can be dangerous.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #633 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh, no! Shimi, I'm so sorry!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #634 
vaygirl

I'm so sorry about your Mom! :(
Old 07-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #635 
AngelicScars

I'm so sorry, I'm really hoping she pulls through and heals quickly!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #636 
Shimizoki

Update:
Mom is still in the hospital, but she was able to eat for the first time yesterday. Thats something like 4 days without food. They found a massive clot in her leg, they cant remove it so they cut open her jugular and navigated an "octopus" down her vein and put it in her abdomen. Hopefully if the clot breaks up it will be caught in that and then they can remove it. (It kinda looks like a mini whisk, but with the very tip cut. Basically lots of tiny wires in a cone shape)

She is doing much better now that she can have food, however she is still stuck in the hospital for a minimum of a few more days. Once she gets out of the hospital she will have to take a medicine that will force her onto a weird diet. Unfortunately she is already on a medicine that is doing that. Rather than the diets lining up they are actually almost opposite. The only meat she is allowed to eat is fish (and only every few days), the only vegetable she can eat is Iceburg lettuce (which has no nutritional value), she basically cant have wheat, or whole grain (Wonderbread anyone?)... So that's gunna really jack with her. Over all, things are finally starting to look up.

Side Note:
Vaygirl... Hows that diet going? I know I don't need to go on a diet, but I give you props because even if I did... I just like to eat too much, i wouldn't be able to.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #637 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad your mom is doing better. Fish and lettuce doesn't sound too nutritious.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #638 
vaygirl

Oh wow. That totally sucks for your Mom! Lettuce and fish? I can't even imagine. What kind of meds do that? My dad was a manic depressive and he used to take something that he had to stay out of the sun from.

I'm doing good! I had a little deviation last night but other then that, I'm great. I like food too. In fact, my family owned a bar/restaurant, so the food I grew up with is the stuff I love. Like grilled cheese, hot dogs, cheeseburgers, French onion soup. But I really like to cook and I like new things, so I pick up new recipes from weight watchers every week. And the food is fairly normal. Tonight we're having whole wheat pasta with broccoli rabe and bolognese sauce. My two big issues are that I waaaaaay overeat sweets and my tendency to want fast food. As long as I don't buy cake or cookies and I stay away from McD's, I do great!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #639 
Shimizoki

Good job Vay!

and you are both right, its not very nutritious, The meds make it to where she CANT have most other things though. she is stuck with nutrient poor, and rather crappy food for the next 6 months minimum.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #640 
dramaqueen
Banned

Can she drink something like Ensure or Boost to get vitamins and minerals from?