So, I decided my girls needed an update. Since Lavender(needs a better name) and Angel (who should be called Gabriel) have decided that a sorority is not their style, I redid the 10 gallon to better suit them.
I rigged the aquatech for maximum filtration since it is a divided tank. I used craft mesh to divide the tank, then found some vinyl tubing that was the diameter of the outflow pipe. I stuck the vinyl tubing in where the outlet pipe is normally inserted into the filter box and attached the other side to the extension tube and strainer. That was the the water flows in on one side of the tank, and out of the other.
This is the before (it was originally a holding tank for my baby briggs):
and the after:
I filled the petsmart root thingies with the eco-complete gravel and planted crypts in them (so the girls couldn't swim in and get stuck).