Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #11 
mwc

ok what algae eater then
mwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #12 
JKfish

The only algae eating fish I would ever advise would be a group of 3-4 ottos. But, they are delicate fish and need to be in a cycled tank with a lot of plants to hide in as well as an alternative source of nutrients such as blanched zuchinni.

If you have an algae problem, the first thing you do is try adjusting your lighting schedule. Don't buy algae eaters in an attempt to have them clear up your algae. You are the tank keeper, so it's your job to keep it clean :). However, if you just want an extra tank mate, be sure to research and be sure they are suitable.... What sized tank is your betta in?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #13 
mwc

ok. i will have alot of plants .i'm going to breed my bettas when i get ready for them the tanks size be 10 to 15 gallon with a 10 to 20 heater and a pump for them .and i did all of my research about breeding .is a 10 to 15 gallon tank big enough .the guy that told me everthing about breeding .he said a 10 to 15 tanks be big enough
mwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #14 
SillyCone

lol I swear I saw those chinese eaters on my LFS with their female bettas... Although I haven't been there for a while... Hmmmm..
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #15 
Tisia

they're okay when they're little, but when they get older they start getting more aggressive, and usually stop eating algae as well
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #16 
Yosilior

A Chinese algae eater will eventually kill your betta. I have one in a tank with a breeding pair of convict cichlids, and even though it's put through the ringer at times, he's still there. That's a testament to how tough these little buggers can be.

Last edited by Yosilior; 05-31-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Yosilior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #17 
Yosilior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
Chinese Algae Eaters are even more aggressive then betta's. They're known fish killers and not very good pets. Do NOT I repeat do NOT put a betta with them or any fish actually. It's exactly like Metalbetta said.

Shrimps, snails anything BUT that thing.
I had several fish tanks spanning over a decade, and I had several Chinese Algae eaters. Nevertheless, I have grown to really dislike them, as they have terrorized every single fish I have had. But a few years ago, I had a juvenile Jack Dempsey housed with it, and it harrased the JD! But when the Dempsey matured, it swallowed the CAE whole! A CAE's bark is way worse then their bite; its a sucker fish for goodness sakes, it doesn't grow teeth.

If my convicts were big enough now, I have no doubt that they would dispose of the CAE rather quickly. Those cons, they're scrappers I tell ya! When I put my hand in the tank to clean, and I get near they're fry, the male bites my hand, and once drew blood!

But I would never advise getting a CAE unless you intend to house it with fish that can ward off their attacks.

Last edited by Yosilior; 05-31-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #18 
Blazer23

As Tisia said, they don't even eat algae. They will feed on your fishes slime coat. And Silly Cone you might want to change you sig haha
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #19 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosilior View Post
I had several fish tanks spanning over a decade, and I had several Chinese Algae eaters. Nevertheless, I have grown to really dislike them, as they have terrorized every single fish I have had. But a few years ago, I had a juvenile Jack Dempsey housed with it, and it harrased the JD! But when the Dempsey matured, it swallowed the CAE whole! A CAE's bark is way worse then their bite; its a sucker fish for goodness sakes, it doesn't grow teeth.

If my convicts were big enough now, I have no doubt that they would dispose of the CAE rather quickly. Those cons, they're scrappers I tell ya! When I put my hand in the tank to clean, and I get near they're fry, the male bites my hand, and once drew blood!

But I would never advise getting a CAE unless you intend to house it with fish that can ward off their attacks.
DANG! Sounds like your fish know what their doing to be rid of the little suckers.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #20 
Yosilior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
DANG! Sounds like your fish know what their doing to be rid of the little suckers.
Time will tell I guess. But I think, at the very least, when LFS and chain stores sell these evil creatures, they need to put a warning label on their tag. Like when you buy a CD with expletives, it will have a parental advisory label. Unsuspecting fishkeepers need to be warned.