Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #1 
Genesis

How much is too much flaring?

Genesis doesn't flare at his reflection (I've tried multiple times), but he flares at anything that shines or sparkles, or gives off light. Or moves, I guess.
And I mean anything. He flares when he sees me now, because I've repainted my fingernails and there's a shine in the polish (I'm pretty sure it's because my nails look like the shade of blue that bettas are). He's also flared at the sun when it gets in my room, my laptop screen (the back of it, not the screen itself), plastic bags, his plant, his food, and sometimes the little gemrocks at the bottom of his tank.

I'm afraid he might flare too much and stress himself out. Is there any way I can get him to calm down?

I can't move his tank from my desk, as there's nowhere else to put him (and even if there was, my desk is the only place the cats can't get to him). I do move things away when he starts flaring at them, but now he flares at his own food containers, too.

Despite all of this flaring, if I move whatever he's flaring at, he hides in his plant for awhile. Is this normal?
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #2 
mwc

well bettas need to be flair. i do mind about 10 min a day .
mwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #3 
caitic10

My betta Po flares at everything! He flares at humans, birthday cards, his food container, paintings...everything! Flaring is pratically a form of exercise for bettas. Po will hide if my finger moves when he flares at it. This is normal. He is probably just feeling a little shocked or scared when his 'enemy' moves.

If you close the curtains, but leave the room light on, it might work. Since the sunlight is more harsh than indoor lighting, the indoor lighting may be more dim and easy on him.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #4 
SilverMagic

Don't worry, if your betta didn't have anything to flare about his life would be boring.

Bettas can also habituate to certain conditions too which means that over time certain things will cause a betta to flare less. I read this in the book Aquarium Care of Bettas from Animal Planet.

P.S. That is the best time to take pictures because you can see his full finnage.
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #5 
Genesis

I would take a picture of him flaring, but he hides from the camera, haha.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote