Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #1 
caitic10

Feeding Question

Im in charge of feeding my betta, Suki and my mom's betta Po. I feed them BettaMin flakes every day, except for sundays when I fast them, and fridays when I feed them freeze dried bloodworms.

I only feed them a pinch of flakes in the morning and one in the night. Yet, recently and at the same time, they have both stopped eating the flakes. They nibble a bit, but when I check later on there are still plenty of flakes left.

Am I overfeeding them or are they just bored?
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #2 
fishman12

Well you should be feeding them 3-4 pellets a day. Flakes aren't as good and tend to dirty up the tank. In the meantime, they might be stressed from a change that you don't know about. Are they lethargic, tail biting, any odd behavior at all? And what size tanks are they in?
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #3 
caitic10

Are Hikari pellets fine? I heard they changed their recipe....

They are acting fine and I have not seen any tail biting. Im not sure about the tank size.... Po's is about five gallons and Suki's maybe three.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #4 
Sakura8

I think Hikari pellets are okay. The recipe apparently changed to include more wheat meal but what I like about the Hikari pellets is the very small size. Some pellets, even those made for bettas, are too big, especially for tiny girls. All betta pellets include some amount of wheat meal, by the way.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #5 
caitic10

Oh, thanks! Ill definetly try pellets! :)
Old 06-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #6 
Neil D

I use TetraColor pellets and they are very good, 40% protein. Hikari shouldn't be fed because the wheat is not good for bettas, as they are carnivorous
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #7 
Tisia

some wheat in the pellets are okay, but having it as the main ingredient isn't. bettas are carnivores so the first couple ingredients should really be some kind of fish
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #8 
Sakura8

I just bought New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula .5mm Sinking Pellets. They are TINY so any fish should be able to eat them and they don't sink that fast, so your hungry betta should swoop in and eat them well before they hit the bottom. First two ingredients are antarctic krill meal and herring meal, then wheat, protein is 48%.

Coincidentally, based on what everyone's been saying here, I decided to cut down on the freeze-dried bloodworms. Before I fed two a day. Today was first day I did this and this morning, when I reached for the pellet container instead of the bloodworm container, my male went into a frenzy. He kept looking at the bloodworm container, then at the pellets and back. He finally ate the pellets then swam over and pressed his nose against the glass staring at the bloodworms. He has a betta log tunnel on that side and he's been spending much of the day inside it, staring longingly at the bloodworms. It's been so funny to watch.

Last edited by Sakura8; 06-01-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #9 
h the betta

not to thread jack or anything but i just picked up a betta and i wasnt expecting him to eat today but i thought id try and wat do you know he ate but i only put a very tiny amount so i put a little more and he scoops it up spits it out and scoops it up again and spits it out again lol. is this ok?
h the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #10 
Sakura8

If he ate a little but spit the rest out, he's probably full. If you feed him the same food again tomorrow and he refuses it, then he's probably just being a brat.