Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #1 
SashimiBetta

Angel Fish: Buy or Bait?

Hi everyone!

So today, my mom and I went to PetSmart just to take a look around and we saw Angel Fish. We fell in love and wanted some...but the only room I have is in my females tank (14g) and we don't know if Angel Fish are compatible with Female Bettas. I only have 1 female betta in the 14g, so it wouldn't be overstocked. We only want 1-2 Angel Fish.

Am I able to get them? Or will my Betta make them bait, or WORST will my Angel Fish make my Betta bait?! (Although Angel Fish aren't carnivores..are they?)
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #2 
Lizabelly

Hello Sashimi! I've only had my angelfish for about a month, so I don't have that much experience with them, but I've read a lot on them. So I'll try to answer some of your questions, if you don't mind a bit of a newbie answering them.

First of all, from what I've read your tank would be too small. Angelfish grow to be quite large, with an average size of 6 inches tall, though they can grow to be 12 inches, but this is rare. One site reccomends if you keep angelfish, to have a tank that is at least 20 inches tall as they like to swim up and down a lot. Another site recommends a size of at least 29 gallons, as they like to be kept in groups of 4.

The reason fro this, is in groups of 2-3 the larger more powerful angelfish tends to bully the others, make life miserable for them.

Also, from what I've heard Angelfish usually don't do well with bettas, because they can nip them, and angelfish can be agressive sometimes. (remember they are a type of cichlid). It all depends on the size of your tank, wether they'll co exist peacefully or not.

Lastly Angelfish are omnivores, they do prefer the flakes, and freeze dried blood worms, but they like havign black worms and brine shrimp soemtimes.

So really, even though Angelfish are beautiful, I wouldn't recommend buying them unless you get a bigger tank. Especially if you keep them with your betta. Really the only reason I think mine are getting along well with my betta, is because of how big my tank is.

Cheers,
Lizabelly
(sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear )
Lizabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #3 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabelly View Post
Hello Sashimi! I've only had my angelfish for about a month, so I don't have that much experience with them, but I've read a lot on them. So I'll try to answer some of your questions, if you don't mind a bit of a newbie answering them.

First of all, from what I've read your tank would be too small. Angelfish grow to be quite large, with an average size of 6 inches tall, though they can grow to be 12 inches, but this is rare. One site reccomends if you keep angelfish, to have a tank that is at least 20 inches tall as they like to swim up and down a lot. Another site recommends a size of at least 29 gallons, as they like to be kept in groups of 4.

The reason fro this, is in groups of 2-3 the larger more powerful angelfish tends to bully the others, make life miserable for them.

Also, from what I've heard Angelfish usually don't do well with bettas, because they can nip them, and angelfish can be agressive sometimes. (remember they are a type of cichlid). It all depends on the size of your tank, wether they'll co exist peacefully or not.

Lastly Angelfish are omnivores, they do prefer the flakes, and freeze dried blood worms, but they like havign black worms and brine shrimp soemtimes.

So really, even though Angelfish are beautiful, I wouldn't recommend buying them unless you get a bigger tank. Especially if you keep them with your betta. Really the only reason I think mine are getting along well with my betta, is because of how big my tank is.

Cheers,
Lizabelly
(sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear )
+1 :)
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

Well, i have had angel fish for about a month now(they are not adults, but they are not small babies either) as well and have tried to put them with my 2 female bettas and I would say NOT to put them together because the bettas will chew on their long Anal and Dorsal fins until they come off.

Also if the angelfish are adults im sure that the adults will eventually kill the bettas by stressing them out. Angelfish are NOT aggressive and are great tank mates but not for bettas.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #5 
SashimiBetta

@LizzyBella: Hmm, well in that case I guess I'm going to get a new tank for them. (Me & my Mom really want them. lol)

Thanks everyone!

& Thanks Lizzy and Bettalover for the info. I will keep it in handy and do lots of researching.
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #6 
Lizabelly

You're welcome! And I'm glad to help, it makes me feel important XD. If you're looking for some good site on info, I really liked these:

http://e0.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=angelfish

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_...s_assorted.htm
Lizabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #7 
laughing

14 gallons is WAY to small for angel fish. I definite think the other posters have given you accurate information.

Angelfish will act aggressive to fish especially those smaller. Bettas will eat their fins off. It is not uncommon for angelfish to become carnivorous to other fish. Angelfish also can get to a foot long with their fins.

BAIT!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #8 
Greenfish

In my experience angelfish as babies could be killed by a Betta as they are not overly aggressive, but as the angelfish grow it will be them that kill the Betta as they are larger. Another thing to think about is angelfish will have a territory, males and females will also pair up and so it is recommended that you get at least 4 so they choose their own mate. But I had 4 and in the end 2 paired up and killed the other ones as well as everything else in the tank :(. you will also need a much larger tank that is also tall enough for them to spread out their fins.
Greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #9 
Cassandra90

Everyone on here is giving good advice. I have been keeping Angelfish for a few years now, but I have a 55 gallon.

Either your females will fin nip them or the other way around since Angels like to nip too. In my experience my Angels have been on the aggressive side, they are a species of cichlids.

I would suggest atleast a 40 gallon if you were to get some. I have one that is the size of a soft ball and the fins are atleast 6 inches long.

This is my largest one and he is only a year old.
I also have 2 marbles. Which are a bit smaller and only 8 months old.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #10 
Cassandra90

Oh sorry about the picture size :(
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote