Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #1 
ishybaby

Unhappy white on gills?

hey ya'll
I've had Ish (crown tail betta) since January, and he's a goofy betta. I recently went home this past weekend and he was fine on the way home and back to my apartment where I go to school. I just cleaned his tank (4 gallons) and he swam around happy. I went up to watch him and noticed the edges of his gills had a white strip on both of them. He's swimming around like crazy when his tail spread and flares up at me when we started playing.
I just wanted to double check with others that it isn't something worse, or if there's some general medicine I might need to get that would kick it in advance?
It might be nothing but stress from a few hours car ride and the transfer to his big home. Also in his tank is a java plant and a el nino plant, as well as a "flinstone" looking house (as my fiance calls it) that he hides in when his light goes out.
hopefully this is just me freaking out over nothing *fingers crossed*

forgot to include that he doesn't seem to be rubbing on anything in his tank or gasping for air

Last edited by ishybaby; 05-31-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: adding info
ishybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #2 
mwc

he could have a fungus that what my betta had on his gill i gave him some salt it went away .
mwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #3 
mwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishybaby View Post
hey ya'll
I've had Ish (crown tail betta) since January, and he's a goofy betta. I recently went home this past weekend and he was fine on the way home and back to my apartment where I go to school. I just cleaned his tank (4 gallons) and he swam around happy. I went up to watch him and noticed the edges of his gills had a white strip on both of them. He's swimming around like crazy when his tail spread and flares up at me when we started playing.
I just wanted to double check with others that it isn't something worse, or if there's some general medicine I might need to get that would kick it in advance?
It might be nothing but stress from a few hours car ride and the transfer to his big home. Also in his tank is a java plant and a el nino plant, as well as a "flinstone" looking house (as my fiance calls it) that he hides in when his light goes out.
hopefully this is just me freaking out over nothing *fingers crossed*

forgot to include that he doesn't seem to be rubbing on anything in his tank or gasping for air
: if you can post pic
Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #4 
ishybaby

:) thanks for responding so quick! and i'll try to get a picture to post if the little monster would stay facing a way to get one of his gills, but he seems to think its a game lol
ishybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

I would try to get a picture. Is it fuzzy or slimy looking at all?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #6 
mwc

ok thanks, i would wait a day just to see if it get bigger if so get some salt it will help it. and help with is stress to .