Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #1 
Punki

Urgent-panicked, my coraline!:(

Ive been posting here http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=71455 but now i have a new problem. Shes currently in her cup being treated with epsom salt but she was acting a bit weird, no longer floating at all and now she cant swim up and shes frantic and its so sad :( I lowered her water to 1 inch, should i leave alittle more or? I dont know whats wrong with here, till now shes had a tail that pulled her to the surface and no clear idea of why, but shes been fasted and treated and now this. I videotaped it, its quite sad to see i dont know what to do, i feel like shes suffering and scared and cant get air :( Shes opening her mouth and gills rapidly and flopping constantly :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upFMMvDm6qo
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #2 
Creat

Oh wow... that looks bad I'll be honest thats way out of my league I would PM OldFishLady or someone else for that. My best idea is what you did lower the water and keep it real clean. I assume your treating her the normal way with epsom salt I dont know why it would have this effect.
I also hope I can bump this message so someone who knows whats up can help.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #3 
Punki

Yes, two teaspoons a gallon, its the correct epsom salt i triple checked, it has no additives and shes been in it 48 hours so far. Im sort of feeling like shes miserable but then for a few brief moments she catches herself and just looks at me. But her breathing is fast. So upsetting. Oldfish lady and a couple of others recommended the salt in my other post, and she seemed better today then suddenly started sinking and doing this instead of floating. I havent touched the water and its spring water, conditioned, 79 degrees, with tannins and epsom salt, i just dont know if this is even treatable or if im prolonging a horrible panicked scary death. Thank you for the bump, hearing anything right now is good =/
Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #4 
Creat

Yeah thats what i do with epsom salt... my only idea would be to hold off on the epsom salt maybe... I might raise the temp to 82* though
Old 05-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #5 
Punki

It was mentioned that the higher temperatures could cause what ever she could possibly have wrong with her to grow so i got it a bit lower, its so hot in my house, she was at 81 for about 6 hours today, only now dropping.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #6 
Creat

ah well that would make sense if its bacterial but if its just her swim bladder i tend to raise it... however her swimbladder might be infected but like i said im no expert... i hope what ever it is she gets better :)
Old 05-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #7 
Punki

shes got her face buried in the corner of the cup, her tails sticking upwards and her stomach is laying on the bottom, when she tries to swim she just pushes her stomach along the bottom, i dont think she can get air, even with the water lower. Her mouth is opening and shutting alot. Dont think she will make it through the nightat this rate. Thank you for the hope, i really hope so too. I messaged oldfishlady but today is her birthday so i imagine shes off for the night. She deserves it, always so helpful here.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #8 
carzz

No clue. I'd PM OFl. :( sorry
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #9 
Creat

you could put an airstone in there but i doubt that would help.. and OFL deserves so much for helping people ( and their fish) out... and well you did everything you could by what you have said yeah you did everything you could
Old 05-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #10 
Punki

I do have an airstone in my males tank but its part of his undergravel filtration so i couldnt do it for long. itd probobly prolong suffering if shes going to be unable to go up and get the air she needs. Never buying a petsmart betta ever. Even if they were .49 cents. Not worth the sadness.