Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #1 
DarkMoon17

Please Vaccinate your Dogs/Cats!!

Hey guys, I work at an animal hospital (pre vet student)... We just had a serious Parvo outbreak, it's spread to pretty much every unvaccinated dog in the area (50+ dogs/puppies). Apparently the weather this spring has been perfect for not only the Parvo virus but also insect carried diseases like Lyme, and heartworm. Parvo is a very deadly and very contagious virus.... Only animals treated within the first 48 hours of symptoms have a chance of surviving and even those can run up a $3,000+ bill. Parvo is also very preventable. There is a vaccine that is exceptionally effective.. please make sure your dogs are up to date on all vaccines (distemper (for parvo)), rabies, lyme, lepto (if your dog swims), bordatella (if you board your dog).

If you have a cat that goes outside you should make sure they are up to date on rabies, feline leukemia, feline aids, and feline distemper (parvo) vaccines. Cats have their own form of Parvo and it will kill them within 24 hours... Even indoor cats should be vaccinated for rabies as a precaution since all it takes is for them to catch a rabid animal that gets inside... we've seen it happen.

If you have questions about animal vaccinations let me know.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #2 
gmd1800

Scary! Thanks for the PSA! I hope pet owners on and off this forum will do as you asked.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #3 
laughing

Agreed! Things can be prevented with a $20 shot... a lot of places offer discounted prices. I know the humane society offer discounted prices on all feline/dog vaccines basically. Get it done!

I am aspiring to complete vet school. I am getting my associates in sciences currently! I took a vet science class last semester that I LOVED. Pet owners have NO CLUE how common these things are... The importance of vaccinations, teeth cleaning, and regular check ups (yearly) are vital. So many deaths and illnesses CAN be prevented.

Next semester is animal diseases, which I am so excited for. ^^
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

Excellent advice and a great reminder!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 PM   #5 
vaygirl

We're due this month. Molly LOVES the vet. She drags me in there so she can maul people with basset sized love. We get her Lepto (as well as all the others) because we have a creek behind us and many, many skunks and raccoons move through our back yard. Everyone should vaccinate!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

I'll be sure to tell everyone I know about this. My BFF has an infant kitten she's been looking after since she was three weeks old. Their other cat is a hunter and drags dead things into the house all the time. Yugi is due for his check-up to....
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #7 
laughing

Guys, you'd be surprised the way animals can contract these viruses. So good job!

Even inside pets need vaccines, too!! No excuses! ;)
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #8 
DarkMoon17

Laughing-we can be miserable in Vet School together lol

Glad to hear people are keeping their boys/girls up to date. And, as Laughing said, vaccinate your indoor cats as well! The outdoors come inside more than you'd think.

Also... make sure you keep your dogs up on their monthly heartguard chewable! I actually just saw my first heartworm positive cat (I've been working for 6 years), which is really rare and just shows you how prevalent these diseases are this year. There is Heartguard for cats but my mom (Vet) says it is pretty much a waste of money to use it. Most cats have been exposed to heartworm at some point in their lives and only about 1% actually get the worms and those are not treatable. Dogs are much more susceptible. Heartworm in dogs is treatable and your dog can be checked for it annually in his heartworm/lyme/eurlikia/anaplasmosis test. If your vet offers a 3dx test for cats then you can also check them for heartworm though it might not be very accurate since they carry antibodies for the worms even if they are no longer carrying them and therefore the test will read positive even if the cat was able to kill the worms on its own.

Lastly, do not buy medications like frontline or heartguard for your pets off the internet!!! Frontline and Heartguard can only be purchased through a licensed veterinarian. PetMeds is NOT from a licensed veterinarian. Often times these online Frontlines/Heartguards are imitation products. They might look like real Frontline/heartguard but they are not and can kill your pet. We have had cats and dogs come in seizing shortly after their owners used "frontline" purchased off the internet. Please only buy medications from a licensed vet. Also, do not buy anti-flea or heartworm products from Walmart. Yes they are cheap, but they don't work and like online meds they can also harm your pet since they do not have to go through any regulatory agency to make sure they are safe...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #9 
gmd1800

^ Oops? We bought Frontline and Heartgard from PetMeds for our dog who passed away (from old age) and he was perfectly fine.

Maybe we were just lucky?
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #10 
AngelicScars

Yeah, my mom bought my dogs meds on Petmeds and they both lived well over 10 years. They didn't have a problem with the meds.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote