Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #11 
DarkMoon17

Petmeds is hit or miss. It depends on where they got their stock from and wether or not they checked it well. We have had clients purchase frontline/heartguard from petmeds and then their dog/cat seized and died as a result (and it was a direct result of the med, not just coincidence). Sometimes it isn't real frontline/heartguard, it is just a imitation product from China. You would have to put the boxes side by side to tell the difference. IMO it just isn't worth the risk. I was there when a cat came in seizing right after its owner had given it petmed's frontline. We had to wash her down completely and give her all sorts of medications and fluids. She needed intensive care for almost a week. I think the bill ran up a few thousand dollars not to mention it was downright dramatic, the poor owners were just a mess. In the future, you should get your meds from a licensed Veterinarian. IMO it isn't worth the few dollar difference. I've seen too many horror stories to risk playing with medications... I'm glad you guys seem to have gotten real Frontline/Heartguard but keep in mind that you cannot hold Petmeds accountable if something does go wrong.

Oh and, K9Advantix is for DOGS ONLY! It kills cats. We've had that happen a few times too. K9Advantix is good stuff but if you have a cat in the house, use frontline for both of them instead. Even if the cat rubs up against the dog and gets some on him/her or licks the dog that's all you need for a dead cat. It's very depressing.

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 06-01-2011 at 11:57 AM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #12 
vaygirl

Molly is raw fed and she never gets fleas. I'm not sure if that's why, but I've had her for four years now. Never seen a flea, or flea droppings anywhere. My vet didn't believe me til I brought her in. Lol!

We do our heart worm pills too! My cats get rabies shots. Kira goes out on the deck now so I'm thinking it's time to get her the others. When I was a girl we lost our outdoor cat to felv. My grandmother never had him vaccinated. It was a sad way for him to go.

I never used 1800pet meds. I wanted to when Aggie had diabetes and I had to shoot her up all the time. The dosage just kept increasing. It coat me 100 bucks per vial. But my vet wouldn't give me a scrip. Probably a good thing, in retrospect.

Last edited by vaygirl; 06-01-2011 at 12:59 PM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #13 
DarkMoon17

Vaygirl, it's one thing to get a script and get the insulin at a human pharmacy. That's ok. Just don't go through Petmeds. Our vets would give you a script for another pharmacy (Walmart, Walgreens, etc...) but they urge people to avoid online pet pharmacies that don't have a licensed vet (eg Petmeds).

I don't think the diet explains why she hasn't had fleas. She must have never been exposed to them. My cats have never had fleas and they just get junk food (we're horrible when it comes to our cat's diets ^^; ). We don't regularly frontline them either. We only frontline our animals when they have fleas. You're definitely lucky though whatever it is cause fleas are awful D:

It sounds like you keep your guys/girls well cared for :) sorry about your other cat though, that is a hard way to go.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #14 
vaygirl

It wasn't pretty. I went to visit him at the vet right before he passed and he didn't even know I was there. Poor thing.

We used to have a dog who had hellacious fleas (Grandmother again :/) I KNOW how bad they could be. You'd walk across the basement in white socks and you'd be covered. We were ALL miserable.

Molly goes to the State Park with me, she goes on walks. I'm not sure why she doesn't pick up fleas. I do have a tick collar for deer ticks cause we get them on her now and then. I forget the brand. It makes them fall off and die? I don't use it unless we're going off-trail. I'm pretty good at spotting ticks on a white basset with short hair now. And she gets her Lymes shot.

I've been lucky. I'd do it if I had to but Molly's raw fed mostly due to allergies and I don't wanna put anything on her skin that might irritate her. The vet told me it was impossible for her to have allergies at 6 months but she did. She would be up all night scratching and she had big patches of missing hair, her eyelids were puffy and bald from her scratching at her own eyes. That was around the time I switched to raw meat. She didn't like to eat as it was. When we first got her, the first month I'd say, she would only eat a 1/4 cup of food a day. She lost so much weight that you could see her spine and all her ribs. The vet and I tried EVERYTHING. I finally got her to eat by mixing baby food with dry food (Innova, I think). But she still had allergies, patches of hair loss, staying up all night scratching. Someone pointed me to Sojourner Farms food and raw meat. No problems after that. She's just a very sensitive basset. :P That's what they call her at the vet. Sensitive Molly. Hehehehe.

This turned into a novel. *blush*

Edit - My best friend went to University of Penn for Pre Vet. She didn't make it but it's such an tough thing to go for! It's great you're doing it. :D We need lots of passionate vets!

Last edited by vaygirl; 06-01-2011 at 04:00 PM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #15 
Nickpearson1985

I would say a big YES to the food being why they don't get fleas. People don't understand how important a proper diet is. Wild Wolves don't get infested with fleas. I did a study on bears in college where I handled close to 100 Black Bears and I never saw 1 flea or tick on any of them. Animals have a natural resistance to all of this stuff, you just have to give them the tools to fight it, especially food. When I rescued Chase and Speck they both had heartworms. Both have NONE now due to a PROPER diet for a dog (ie- MEAT! Canines don't eat veggies!) And both were never treated.
The only vaccine I get all my dogs is rabies, and that's just because of all the raccoons around. I have nothing against vaccines, just don't want alot of unnecessary pathogens and chemicals in my dog's bodies.
Nickpearson1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #16 
Pitluvs

My Fatey (Staffordshire Terrier) had parvo in 2006, it was so horrible :( She was 3 years old at the time and after a good few visits at the vet, she was finally cleared. My neighbors property had a parvo outbreak and it never went away. I moved there and my dog caught it. She was always vaccinated. It's scary and horrible, lots of nights up tending to her, hand feeding her pedialite. She could hold no bodily functions, so I was always covered and needed to wash myself and her many times a day. Horrible horrible.

We don't vaccinate now though, but always do until 3 years of age.

Just to add, my dog is fed high quality grain free dog food and still gets fleas, she's an indoor dog. My cat as well is fed the same type. Interesting. We only get fleas once a year though, August/Sept.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:34 AM   #17 
Bombalurina

I wish there was a way to innoculate rats against some of the more common things they suffer from. Like myco. Some one invent a myco vaccine, please.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:58 AM   #18 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I wish there was a way to innoculate rats against some of the more common things they suffer from. Like myco. Some one invent a myco vaccine, please.
Yes! I have had a few that were horribly stricken with URI's, $300 a visit for meds every 6 weeks for a year is hard on an owner, pet and the pocket. At least 75% of my rats have had URI's, 3 passed from Pituitary Tumors. That's hard to go through as well. I'm a bit rusty but Myco is constant lung issues right, or is it a bloat of the stomach? Are high whites prone to it?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #19 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
My Fatey (Staffordshire Terrier) had parvo in 2006, it was so horrible :( She was 3 years old at the time and after a good few visits at the vet, she was finally cleared. My neighbors property had a parvo outbreak and it never went away. I moved there and my dog caught it. She was always vaccinated. It's scary and horrible, lots of nights up tending to her, hand feeding her pedialite. She could hold no bodily functions, so I was always covered and needed to wash myself and her many times a day. Horrible horrible.

We don't vaccinate now though, but always do until 3 years of age.

Just to add, my dog is fed high quality grain free dog food and still gets fleas, she's an indoor dog. My cat as well is fed the same type. Interesting. We only get fleas once a year though, August/Sept.

My family also only vaccinates up to 3 years. They have shown the vaccines to be effective for much longer that the "recommended" times of as often as every year. I only keep one dog up to date on rabies (every 3 years) because I travel with her often and need to for legal reasons. I also don't give heartworm meds, but instead test once a year. I don't like the preventive meds, I think they can do more harm for the aforementioned reasons. With a 5lb dog I think the poison used to prevent heartworm is just as bad as treatment should she actually get infected (which would be caught early because of testing).

As for the good food thing, that is something I have never understood with vets. I have never talked to one who seemed to care about what I was feeding my dog, or if they do, it would only be to say that something like the B.A.R.F. diet was bad (not that I feed that). Maybe someone could shed some light on this for me? I have dealt with too many dogs with allergies that cleared up after I switched food to not believe in the power of good food.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #20 
Silverfang

I can't speak for anyone else, but I keep my girl (Cat) up to date with her vaccines. I don't know why people wouldn't keep their pets up do date with their shots (at least the basic ones like rabies). And the 3 cats I had growing up were all kept up to date with all their shots. (they were out door cats who hunted so they needed it more). They lived to be 16 and a half, 18 and 18. It's not just about vaccines, it's about spaying/neutering your pets as well. The better care you give your animals the better life they will have.

(I know nothing about dog specific diseases or vaccines so I can't comment)
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote