Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #1 
Doberz

Is My Betta Just Old?

My betta was a very dull blackish blue color to begin with. Almost grey in some lights. I have him in a 3 gallon tank by himself right now with a heater and a Tetra Whisper 2-10i filter. The current was a bit much for him so I kinked the line on the filter to about half power. He has 2 big fake plants in the middle and do not seem to have any sharp ends for him to snag his tail on. I also put some aquarium salt is his tank last week and do 25-40% water changes weekly.

Now my question involves his tail. It seems to be very thin now and tattered on the ends. I can't tell if it's old age, or fin rot. Or, if he had fin rot when I first got him and his tail grew back a little because as you can see in the older pic his fins were tattered in a different way. He also has black spots going up his fins that I don't recall being there before, but I saw a similar post on this forum with a betta that had the same kind of dots and everyone believed it was just the betta's natural colors/patterns.

The pic on the left is of him when I got him three months ago. Then one on the right I just took. It's hard to get a good pic of him because he darts around when I get close to the tank. I'll try to get a better one though asap.

Edit: My tank is at a constant 78-80 degrees. I feed him 2-3 Hikari pellets 2 times a day. And I test my water weekly with strips and his levels have been great for the past 2 months. (first month was the cycle so things were up and down a bit but he seemed to deal well)

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by Doberz; 05-31-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Doberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #2 
Twilight Storm

I can't tell anything because the pictures kind of make everything blue. :( Without a more normal colored pic I personally can't tell.

I have a Betta that had black edging on his fins. He is a copper so I couldn't tell if it was fin rot. Everyone said it was prob his coloration, but the clear edges behind the black got bigger and the black edge creeped up his tail until it shredded from being so thin. The fish then decided to eat the fin rot off while I was treating him and decided he likes tail biting, dorsal biting... *sigh*

Best Wishes (sorry I couldn't help you any :()
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #3 
Doberz

I managed to get a little better pics. It's hard because of the shape of my makeshift aquarium. It's shaped like a pumpkin with 2 big viewing windows, yet my beta NEVER goes by the windows, lol

Also pardon the water spots on the outside of the tank. I need to clean that. :)

Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #4 
Sakura8

How long have you had your betta? Only 2 months? It's possible it could be old age, as many beautiful petstore bettas are well past a year old and bettas have a typical life span of about 1-4 years. Because people want bettas with lots of finnage, breeders tend to hold males back for breeding while waiting for the finnage to develop, then sell them to petstores when they're older.

However, it seems way more possible that your guy has fin rot or is tail biting. Are there any red streaks in his tail? Any black edges? And have you noticed any difference in his tail since adding the salt? (Sorry for the barrage of questions)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #5 
Doberz

He has little black dots going up his bottom fins, almost in a pattern. He has red streaks in the two, I believe dorsal fins, the 2 long ones under his mouth. Since adding the salt it seems like it's stayed the same. But I don't have that great of an eye so it could be getting a little worse/a little better, but I can't tell. He seems very active still and loves to eat. I guess my best bet right now is to keep up on my water changes and adding salt. And to keep his current down. When the filter was full blast for a couple weeks he was being thrown around a bit when he'd go by it. Possibly irritating him enough to munch on his own tail?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #6 
Sakura8

The filter could have bugged him enough to go tail munching but it sounds like he has fin rot. The fin rot probably started when he got a rip in his tail either from munching or from catching it on something (even getting caught between the gravel as he swims over it). How much salt are you using?

If the red streaks get any bigger, then you'll want to try a medication. I think most people on the forum recommend Maracyn but you might want to double-check. Mainly, don't let the red streaks reach his body.

You could always try a filter baffle to keep his current down. There's a sticky in the Equipment section about how to make one. I don't remember if Tetra Whisper filters have a flow adjustor but if you still have the manual, you could check.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Wait. Do the red streaks look like the ones on Twilight Storm's avatar?
If so, those are actually normal. Those are his pectoral fins and many blue bettas have red ones.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #8 
Sakura8

The red of fin rot would look like this. See, on his tail?

It's easy to see, though, on this poor guy 'cause he has clear fins. I imagine it might be hard to see on your guy but if you see maybe darker streaks going up his tail that weren't there . . .

Are the black dots very small or like big blotches?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #9 
Doberz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Wait. Do the red streaks look like the ones on Twilight Storm's avatar?
If so, those are actually normal. Those are his pectoral fins and many blue bettas have red ones.
Yeah they're very similar to the ones in that picture.

The black dots are very small and go up his bottom fin. There are two bigger black spots that seemed to be fading. But I just now noticed a small red circle on the bottom of his bottom fin.. (not the pectoral)

I added a teaspoon of salt last week, but haven't added any since or before. I think I'm gonna throw about half a teaspoon in right now before I leave for work and do a 50% water change when I get home tonight.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Yeah, I think the rule of thumb is a teaspoon a gallon, so half a teaspoon should help a lot.