Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #11 
Doberz

I poped the top off the tank and dove in to get some better shots:

This one shows the black dots I was talking about:

This one shows something I didn't notice before.. The red at the top of the fins.. I'm hoping that's just his natural colors and not the fin rot...

Doberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:11 AM   #12 
Sakura8

I'd say he has fin rot. The red up at the top of his anal fin (the big fin on his stomach) is probably his natural coloring but his fins just look too ragged for biting. Plus, his dorsal fin is all ripped (the fin on the top of his back). He's a lovely gray-blue, though, very handsome.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #13 
Doberz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'd say he has fin rot. The red up at the top of his anal fin (the big fin on his stomach) is probably his natural coloring but his fins just look too ragged for biting. Plus, his dorsal fin is all ripped (the fin on the top of his back). He's a lovely gray-blue, though, very handsome.
I took out all the fake plants I had in the tank today and made a hill out of marbles in the back for him to rest on. I also think I might add this rock ornament in the tank (I already have it from a previous tank).

You think he would enjoy that as a hiding spot? It doesn't seem to have any sharp edges on it that he can snag his fins on.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #14 
Sakura8

I think he'd LOVE it. I have a little cave for my guy and when he's mad at me (I didn't pay enough attention, it was fasting day etc) he hides and sulks.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #15 
Doberz

He seems to really like his new cave. Swimming in and out of it, exploring it, and poping his head in and out of the hole, lol
Old 06-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #16 
Sakura8

That's great! Bettas really are curious little guys, aren't they? Also, I love your avatar pic with him flaring and looking all tough.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #17 
Doberz

Well the water changes and salt have done nothing except keep the rot from spreading as much. His dorsal fin yesterday was totally trashed though, and a bunch off it fell of this morning.. So I decided it was time to medicate. I got some Maracyn 1 from Petsmart and added about half a packet in with a small water change. It says to continue to medicate for 5 days. Is there anything extra I should be doing? Should I still be doing daily water changes and adding salt while medicating, or hold off until the meds are all done?

Also, I noticed a bit of algae on the rocks and tubing for the filter. I was thinking about adding an Otocinclus to his tank to help with that.. But is a 3 gallon tank to small for him? Also, I'm pretty sure I should wait a week or two anyways while medicating the betta?

Old 06-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #18 
Sakura8

I'm not sure, I've never had to use a medication (knock on wood) but I think perhaps you change the water every day and redose. But you might want to get a second opinion on that. It sounds like your guy's fin rot is pretty bad. I hope the maracyn helps and he heals up quickly.

In my opinion, one oto and one betta in a 3g are going to be a tight fit; it could work but you would have to change the water several times a week. A 5g would be better, but again, you'd have to change the water at least twice a week to stay on top of the ammonia buildup. A 10g would probably be ideal. Plus, if there's not much algae, then your oto will run out of food and you'll have to feed him algae wafers. If you do get a 10g, you can get maybe 3 otos as they are schooling fish and like the company of their own kind.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #19 
Doberz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'm not sure, I've never had to use a medication (knock on wood) but I think perhaps you change the water every day and redose. But you might want to get a second opinion on that. It sounds like your guy's fin rot is pretty bad. I hope the maracyn helps and he heals up quickly.

In my opinion, one oto and one betta in a 3g are going to be a tight fit; it could work but you would have to change the water several times a week. A 5g would be better, but again, you'd have to change the water at least twice a week to stay on top of the ammonia buildup. A 10g would probably be ideal. Plus, if there's not much algae, then your oto will run out of food and you'll have to feed him algae wafers. If you do get a 10g, you can get maybe 3 otos as they are schooling fish and like the company of their own kind.
When my Betta wasn't sick I was contemplating adding him to my 10gl tank I already have set up. Only problem is it already has 3 Dalmatian Mollies and two small otos in it. I don't think the algae in the 3gl is really a problem, but I worry that it might become one over time. I think if I keep the tank clean and change the water once a week I probably won't need an oto for the bettas tank.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #20 
Sakura8

If you're really concerned about algae, you can always get a snail. It would probably be more practical than an oto.