Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #21 
BETTACRADLE

Well I can't see ur picture either, but from my experience , it will be easy to identify if a betta had fin rot or not. I ask u now , have u monitored any behaviour changes in ur betta, say if hes having fin rot, hes likely to bite or try to bite his tail off at times , also he tends to winced for no apparent reason like something is hanging on its tail and hes trying to get rid of its tail by biting it off. I have seen bettas acted that way when they have fin rot. So i guess if u really want know , it wise to monitor ur poor fish attitude first because there will be behaviour changes in the fish
BETTACRADLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #22 
BETTACRADLE

Today, 01:45 AM #21 BETTACRADLE

Well I can't see ur picture either, but from my experience , it will be easy to identify if a betta had fin rot or not. I ask u now , have u monitored any behaviour changes in ur betta, say if hes having fin rot, hes likely to bite or try to bite his tail off at times , also he tends to winced for no apparent reason like something is hanging on its tail and hes trying to get rid of its tail by biting it off. I have seen bettas acted that way when they have fin rot. So i guess if u really want know , it wise to monitor ur poor fish attitude first because there will be behaviour changes in the fish
BETTACRADLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:15 AM   #23 
Sakura8

I agree. I imagine fin rot is painful for a betta so it makes sense to me that a betta with the beginnings of fin rot might bite his fin off to rid himself of the pain.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #24 
Doberz

Today is the last day of meds for him. He seems more aggressive, and aware, which I take as good signs. When I come up to the tank he thrashes back and forth a little like he used to. And when I drop a pellet in he spots it right aware and darts for it. For a while there I had to put my finger above the pellet until he could find it.

His fins haven't grown back really, but haven't rotted anymore. How long does it usually take for the healing process to happen? Or is the fact they haven't grown back yet a sign he still has rot? I'd like to know in case I should medicate for another 5 days. I have some left over Maracyn 2 from my other tank that I'm double dosing right now with both Maracyns so I could try another 5 days with both on the bettas tank as well.
Doberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #25 
Sakura8

If you feel confident the rot has stopped, you can stop the Maracyn as scheduled and try aquarium salt next. The Maracyn will take care of the infection but the aquarium salt will stimulate the growth of his fins and his slime coat, which will make help him fight off further infections. Or you can try switching your water conditioner to Seachem Prime or API Stress Coat. Both have aloe vera and other things to stimulate the slime coat.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote