Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #1 
HayrideHaunter

Know anything about hermit crabs anyone?

I cant get one right now...however I'd like to eventually...i know basics...but how about the fact that they are social animals? Do they HAVE to be kept in groups or can you have a solitary crab? What is the best, yet cheapest/smallest habitat for them?
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #2 
ectangelo

I don't own any, but for a while I researched them. You could probably get a 5 gallon critter keeper for like 2 of them, because they DO like company. And they need things to climb on. You could use plastic mesh or netting as a climbing wall or something. And keep a lid on, because I've heard of them climbing up the corners and out. Don't consider me an expert though, because I just figured all this stuff out from websites!!!
ectangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #3 
vaygirl

They need a lot of humidity. Their tank should feel tropical. So, I'd go for a tank that you can put a glass cover on to keep the humidity in. I used to keep them a long time ago. I had one as big as my hand. They do like others of their own kind. They're social little guys.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
They need a lot of humidity. Their tank should feel tropical. So, I'd go for a tank that you can put a glass cover on to keep the humidity in. I used to keep them a long time ago. I had one as big as my hand. They do like others of their own kind. They're social little guys.
This.
I had 4 a long while ago...I kept them in a Tupperware..lol..I made a little beach for them in there..They loved it.I used to love them...they were cute when they walked on my hands haha...And I even had a hermit crab race once... I built sand castles for them...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #5 
vaygirl

That's so cute! :D
Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #6 
HayrideHaunter

well I had 2 once...Hermy and Skye...then my aunt gave me hers when her other one died off so it wouldnt be lonely...Gia...but I was very young and didnt enjoy them as much as I could have...we did take good care of them...but...not optimal...their tank was open (but deep with glass sides) and heated and stuff...i think what killed them is when they molted, we had no idea what was going on, so we instantly isolated them (one after the other) and i think that killed them one by one =(

however after i get out of college (living in a dorm that only allows fishtanks, 25gal or less, and nothing but fish in them...) I think id like to invest in a new pet...probably hermit crabs or a bird =) I think im over excited...i have two more years of college left haha...but i figure i can slowly start building a great habitat...then when im done i will have an awesome setup all ready!
Old 06-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #7 
HestonFan23

From what i have read of hermit crabs they require a lot of maintenance. I wanted to get some until i realized how much I would have to do. If you are okay with this, they should have a happy little crabby home.
HestonFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #8 
HayrideHaunter

yeah, I'm aware of the care requirements. Honestly, thats what I enjoy...i have several medium maintenance houseplants and my fish...but I'm constantly craving more things to care for...i take ridiculous care of the living things I own...and research almost too much...i like caring for things...so I'd be fine with a high maintenance little crab family =)
Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #9 
vaygirl

You're making me want to get them again. Lol!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #10 
HayrideHaunter

haha sorry! I want them reeeeally bad...im just...unable to get them haha...my parents dont want to take care of anything over the winter for me...so yeah...I can only get things that I can bring with me to school >.<