Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #11 
Sakura8

In a pinch, you can also use decaffeinated green tea for tannins if you can't find any dried oak leaves. The tea has to be just plain decaffeinated green tea with no additives at all. Place the bag in the water for an hour or so until the water turns tea-colored. And IAL are Indian Almond Leaves but those are really hard to find.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #12 
Frodo Bagfins

Thanks OFL. He's breathing rapidly still--it was better earlier this morning-but when i looked in on him now it's a bit more rapid... Idk if he'll make it w/o having eaten for so long? but anyway...I am thankful to find out about Epsom salts!! as they seem to help some.
Frodo Bagfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #13 
Frodo Bagfins

Thanks Sakura8. I will look around the house to see about the tea.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #14 
Frodo Bagfins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
It's possible he's having a reaction to the Bettafix. No, he had the rapid gill breathing way before that. I know that ppl have said Bettafix is bad, but i thought he was going to die and he was having trouble getting air--flailing in a circle at the top--and i thought it might help bc he had a slight tear on top fin. It did repair it in 1 day. I only had the BF in there one day and then did 100% water change.

What kind of dechlorinator are you using? I would suggest using API Stress Coat or Seachem Prime because both detoxify chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals. If your dechlorinator doesn't detoxify heavy metals then there is a possibility he has heavy metal poisoning. Also, both Stress Coat and Prime will aid in restoring his slime coat which will keep him healthy. If money is a concern, Prime is probably a better way to go because it is more concentrated. That means a little goes a long way so it will last longer. Using "Splendid Betta Complete Water Conditioner" by Mars Fishcare from Petco I liked it bc it comes out in sml drops very easily. I've heard good things online about Prime.

Petco has Stress Coat for $5.49 for 4 oz/$8.49 for 8 oz/$10.99 for 16 oz. Prime goes for $6.99 for 3.4 oz/$8.99 for 8.45 oz. At least, those are the nonsale prices on their website.
Ok
Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #15 
Sakura8

I sure hope Finnius gets better soon. Keep us posted.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #16 
Frodo Bagfins

I forgot to mention that he did have some kind of white wart or cyst or lump (not ich or fungus) on his head 3 mo's ago. It looks like one his forming behind his head again this evening. Also after he gets a breath a bubble sometimes comes out of his gill (like he's not retaining the air?). Anyway.

Today I got "Nutrafin Plus" water cond. w/ Almond leaf extract in it bc I didn't know how to measure the API stress coat or Prime to such a small amount (1 gal).

We did have organic green tea but it had caffeine in it :(. Maybe the AL extract in the WC will help.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #17 
Silverfang

You could pick up a small syringe like you use for dosing liquid medication.You can get 1 mL fairly easily that way. If I remember correctly, it's 1mL per gal with stress coat. Should be able to get that fairly cheaply at a drug store.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #18 
Sakura8

Can you take a pic of that cyst thing?
Old 06-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Look up Lymphocystis and see if that fits the white lump you are seeing...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #20 
Frodo Bagfins

Update on Mr. Finnius

-His lump went away the day after it appeared after I got the new W conditioner. I'm not sure if it was Lymphocystis earlier but that makes more sense than the one that starts w/ a C that they get from eating parasite food-bc he never ate fresh.

-Still hasn't eaten.

-So I can only have him in the E salt for 10 days?