Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #21 
Sakura8

How is his breathing? Has that improved at all? And yes, the epsom salt treatment is only for 10 days max.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #22 
Oldfishlady

You can use Epsom salt long term if needed...aquarium salt needs to be stopped after 10-14 days however......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #23 
Sakura8

Oh, thanks for the clarification, OFL. Sorry to mislead you, Frodo.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #24 
Frodo Bagfins

Thanks Sakura8 and OFL. His breathing has improved some, but his right gill especially is sticking out still. So definitely not normal. His fins are shredding a lot, and his color has faded. (& doesn't eat). I put his food in but had to fish it back out so it wouldn't muck up his water in the tiny QT cup. I did let one float to the bottom this morning but he was uninterested.
Frodo Bagfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #25 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like he may have some scar tissue issues from either past injury, parasites or ammonia burns....can you see in the gill area well enough to check for parasites....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #26 
Frodo Bagfins

The only possible way he could have parasite is if they fed him fresh food at the pet store 6 mo's ago bc I haven't. ...Other than that I'm not sure--The gills are a normal red color not brown or funny color. His right gill looks different to me than his left gill in that there's a little nodule of gill, and the right is definitely sticking out more than his left, and it always stuck out more than the L when he was breathing normally.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #27 
Frodo Bagfins

Finnius' gill pics

The 1st pic is his left side which looks smaller than his right and as you can see from the next 2 pics his right side looks bigger than the left.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #28 
Sakura8

No, I think he can get parasites other ways - if the people at the store changing his water used equipment contaminated from other infected fish or had contaminated hands etc. Also, there is some evidence that some bacteria can lay dormant for a long time and it isn't until a fish is stressed and his immune system weakens that the bacteria becomes apparent. There are parasites like gill flukes that could possibly be there . . .
Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #29 
Frodo Bagfins

Well not much i can do i guess. I don't like watching them go--the pineconing scales look creepy and sad. My last fish Finnegan II lived a yr or so and he got that at the end and turned all white. I buried him in the front garden w/ a round stone that had broken in half like a headstone.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #30 
Sakura8

Yeah but this guy doesn't look like he's pineconing so no need to worry. At least he doesn't look like that from the pics you've posted. If he was, he'd also be grossly bloated.

Has he eaten anything?