Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #31 
Frodo Bagfins

Nope will not eat still. Woke up this morning and his water was 78 in the big tank so a bit higher in the QT cup and he had very heavy breathing, and then it slowed down. It is still faster than norm.
Frodo Bagfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #32 
Sakura8

How long has it been then since he ate? I know they can go up to two weeks without eating with no problem but it can't be good for them. He won't even eat freeze dried or frozen bloodworms? A very small piece of freeze dried bloodworm might work. Or soak a pellet in garlic juice. Or try crushing a pellet so it's really small and easy to swallow. He's going to have to get some food in him soon.

I'm guessing his breathing problem is related to the gill issues you mentioned earlier. Does he go to the surface much to breathe air? If it looks like he's having trouble rising to the surface, you can lower his water levels a little so it's easier.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #33 
Frodo Bagfins

It's been 3 wks since he ate.

He gets up to the surface for air fine--he rests on top of his plant in the QT cup.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #34 
Sakura8

That's good he can get to the surface easy - sounds cute resting on his plant. But we've gotta get the little guy to eat and soon. He needs his nutrients to fight off whatever is bothering his gills.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #35 
Frodo Bagfins

I think he has gill hyperplasia based on the nippyfish.com definition. They suggested aquarium salt because it helps the gills. Epsom salt doesn't seem to be doing much for him (not eating, pale, shredded fins)? Should I switch to Aq salt? Is 1 tsp pf Aq salt for 1 gal good? Can I put it in w/ the epsom salt or should I put it by itself?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #36 
Sakura8

Hmm, it looks like you may be right. Good researching. If you feel the epsom salts aren't helping, then I don't see anything wrong with trying aquarium salt. I would do a complete water change to get all the epsom salt out first. Fill the container back up to about half, then add the tsp of aquarium salt to the water you will put in the tank. Let the salt dissole a little, then add the water to his QT container. Try it and see if you notice any difference in his gill function. Also remember the website said to keep the water super clean, too, as toxins can make this worse.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #37 
Frodo Bagfins

Now I think the Epsom may have helped as some of his color came back and he went to the bathroom this morning! The first I have seen him go.

Wouldn't eat dinner.

As for the clean water: I've been doing 100% water changes on his QT cup (the one in the picture) every day. I did leave a couple pellets in there all day today...but I feel so sad when he won't eat and don't like taking them back out--again :( I wish he would just eat them.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #38 
Sakura8

It's good he's going to the bathroom, since it appears he had some mild constipation as well. Try crushing some of his pellets so they are in small pieces, that will make it easier for him to eat. Otherwise, you may want to get some frozen or freeze-dried bloodworms for him. I'm glad to hear his color is coming back. Continue with the epsom salt treatment for a few days and hopefully he'll get his appetite back. You and Finnius hang in there, okay?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #39 
Frodo Bagfins

Week 4: Finnius is still alive. Obvious gill damage bc of white mucosa strings coming out of gill. Hasn't eaten in 4 wks. He's in 1 1/2 " of water--trying to make him comfortable, bc he was having trouble getting air. His pace of breathing slowed down, but I don't think it looks good for this anorexic little guy.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #40 
Sakura8

Nope, it doesn't. I'm so sorry, Frodo. I think it might be best to humanely euthanize Finnius so he's not suffering anymore. The two of you have fought a good hard battle but I think Finnius is just getting tired from all the stuff he's had to go through. Let us know what you decide to do and if you choose to euthanize him, we'll help you with a humane way. I'm sorry.