Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #1 
DeadMemories92

Wartooth... again... different problem.

ugh. My poor fish. I swear I try SO hard with him. Good news is, the white flaky spot is fading but now there's a white spot under his CHIN! It's not fuzzy, stringy, etc. It's like someone took a white marker and put a tiny little >> I << on his chin. It's a straight slit and it's very small. I'll try to get a photo... Anyways, his behavior hasn't changed. Only added med is Binox and that was for 4-5 hours about two days ago, I then transported him to his normal tank because I felt bad for him in a measuring cup (I was in the hunt for an actual tank for treatments because Squeaky is occupying my normal one). Anyways, the ammonia level is normal, temperature is at a constant 76, and I think it could POSSIBLY be a cut from maybe a plant. Is that possible? What would cause a white "gash" like spot?
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #2 
DeadMemories92

Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #3 
DeadMemories92

You can also see the patch above his eye. :( Poor baby!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #4 
Sakura8

It could be cottonwool, a fungus that causes fluffy, white, yup you guessed it, cotton-like growths commonly at the sight of a wound. So if he nicked himself, it's possible he's gotten cottonwool.

If the growths aren't fluffy, then he could have Columnaris or Mouth Rot/Fungus. "Small, off-white or grey lesions or marks concentrated on the head, fins, gills, and mouth cavity." - [i]A-Z of Tropical Fish Diseases and Health Problems/I] Columnaris is actually a bacteria despite the common name Mouth Fungus. So any treatment you'd use for a bacteria would work.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #5 
DeadMemories92

Okay. So I'm assuming this Jungle: Binox Fungus and Bacteria Fast would work?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Yup, I'd think those would work. If you want, you can wait for a second opinion. Or even go the safe route with salts. Poor guy, it's almost like fishy acne. Or like he cut himself shaving.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #7 
DeadMemories92

Yeah I feel so bad for him. I swear it's always something. I bought him from Walmart about 6 months ago and he stays the sickest out of my 4 bettas. I'm eventually going to put my newest, Squeaky, in with the other two in the 10 gallon tank and give Wartooth his own 5 gallon tank. Just testing the waters with Squeaks to make sure he's not sick either.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #8 
Sakura8

But you must be giving Wartooth excellent care because he's still alive, despite being a Wal-Mart betta.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #9 
DeadMemories92

Oh yes. He's my baby and has lived out of every Walmart fish I've bought (except Squeaks and I'm hopeful for him!).
Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Haha, Wartooth and Waffle, Squeaky and Slayer, what a variety of names, love 'em. Squeaky looks pretty healthy in your avatar pic, though it's kinda hard to see.