Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #1 
Saburo

Filter/ other fish Questions?

OK I got a nice deal on a 10 gallon tank and a young Betta male. I would like advice on low flow filters? I use whisper waterfall filters for my turtles but I think that is way too much movement for my Betta. Also i would like to add an albino cory catfish, or possible 3 or so neon tetras...would that be OK? Any other advice would be great!!!
Saburo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saburo View Post
OK I got a nice deal on a 10 gallon tank and a young Betta male. I would like advice on low flow filters? I use whisper waterfall filters for my turtles but I think that is way too much movement for my Betta. Also i would like to add an albino cory catfish, or possible 3 or so neon tetras...would that be OK? Any other advice would be great!!!
Which filter are you looking at? I can guarantee pretty much any filter you're gonna buy will need to be baffled. A baffle helps dillute or reduce the flow of a filter's outtake (sometimes intake) and makes less surface disruption and wont make an underwater "jet" that pushes the fish around.

I'd advise you to get some aquarium sponge (or a filter/scrubber pad) and rubber band it around the waterfall, with some of the sponge submerged. It does the above and solves your problem :) The intakes on some filters are too strong for bettas with their long fins, so you might need to jam up the intake a little bit. I use seran wrap all mashed up to do this. It doesnt impede the filter, just slows it. Other members use filter media bags or clean panty hose.

A cory will need at least one "friend", better yet, two. These three fish and your betta should be all that's in the tank. The cories will need soft substrate (try sand) and places to hide, along with (probably) some live plants. Keep in mind that corries (and tetras) cannot be exposed to the same dose of many medicines as would your betta, which may make treating illness difficult. Cories like a max temp of 79'F, so do not allow the tank to get above that. They also require food that your betta may be tempted to eat, so be careful! No fat bettas here.

For tetras, they need at least 5 in a group. Again, only the tetras and betta should be added if thats what you go for. They will need lots of places to hide (mainly from the betta), like tall plants, pots, etc. If they dont have this, theyll get stressed and may contract disease or die. Neon tetras, like the cories, can be exposed to certain medicines like the betta, which makes treating them difficult. They also like to hang out and eat in the same spot as the betta, which may make feeding hard. Tetras like their tanks around 78'F, so again, keep it at that but not higher.

Tetras are fast. Fast enough, in fact, to catch up to your betta and nip it's fins. This is a known problem with these fish, and it could happen. Your tetras may also be attacked and killed by your betta.

I highly suggest you look into tank mates more. Please do research on them on your own and get more familiar with which ever (one) tank mate type you like. Both have special needs and will need special care.

I also suggest you get to know your betta more. Watch to see if he's aggressive (more so than normal), what he likes to do, etc. There isnt a rush to get fish, and waiting will assure you've properly researched (which I think you havent enough), which means the best life for the fish and less of a head ache for you.

Give it a few months. You may find you like just the one fish in there!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #3 
Saburo

Thanks. The problem with researching Betta care on the interwebs is, ironically, the popularity of the fish. Plenty of not well informed websites. That is why I came here to post my question.
The temp range and medical treatment issues were not addressed by the sites I did read. I got the 10 gallon tank because it was cheaper than anything but little bowls and plastic little Betta kits that I found rather um, more of a marketing ploy rather than a good habitat.
Very happy that you shared the temp and medication problems! I am surprised that there are no marketed low flow for betta filters, but since it is so easy to mod one I guess that makes sense.
I read the how to threads on using plastic bottles to control flow, but the sponge idea sounds a bit better to me. The suction info you provided is also much appreciated!
Glad you took the time to answer my questions!
If you have time for one more Q... Whenever possible I use rainwater for my turtles. Would rain water be OK to use in a Betta tank? Would it still need to be treated?
Saburo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Argh! My computer crashed and I lost all that Id typed. Arrgh!

(Im gonna summarize this, dont wanna rewrite a huge thing :'c )

I wouldnt use rainwater if youre anywhere near a city, because of possible pollutants. I dont know much about that, but the moderator Oldfishlady does, so send her a private message with as many details about your question as you can for her (like where you live, how close to a city, etc) to help.

I hear you on the bad info. I usually have to assume people havent researched at all (chronic of this forum, ugh), so pardon me on that. I answer usually 10 of these a day and people havent researched at all! Usually, though, information for the cories and tetras is pretty sound from most sites. Our "parent" site, tropicalfishkeeping.com, can answer questions about them for you if you need it. Youre a member there because youre one here! :) (nifty, eh?)

And yeah, 10 gallon kits/tanks arent too bad as far as price, but why the betta bowls are so much, Ill never know.

Make sure your heater for the betta is an appropriate wattage so itll keep the tank around 77-82'F :) If you get either the cories or the tetras, they will need a filter (bettas do not need one), and will need it on always to oxygenate the water.

The bottle baffle isnt the greatest, Id say, because a few members have lost their fish to them by being cut or stuck there. I like the sponge best, too! :)

Any other questions, we'd be happy to answer!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote