Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #1 
naturegirl243

What size tank would be a good gift?

so a friend of mine has a betta but he is in one of those 1/2 gal. cubes made by Marina with a chunk of bamboo in it cause he does not remember to give the bamboo water.Anywho his birthday is coming up and since I have deamed him a fish abuser and was planning on giving him some of my extra stuff I just don't know what to give him.I'm giving him him water conditioner(cause he doesn't use any) aq. salt(cause the fish has pretty bad fin rot) and a heater probably some gravel and plants too, maybe a filter since I have like 3 extra little ones I don't use.My question is what size tank would you think would be approprite for someone who hasen't really had a big fish tank ever and is not that great with responsbility? He does feed him a decent food though.I was thinking a 2.5 gal tank I have an extra one that way when he misses water changes(which he will) it won't be as bad as like my extra 1 gal tanks.I do have an extra 5 gal. but I think that might be too much of a tank for him to handle water changes on.I would take Arthur(the fish) and heal him and give him back but he would kill me if I took his fish so I have to rescue the little guy this way insted.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #2 
TonyK

Right now Petsmart has a real nice 5 gallon Marineland setup on sale for $30.00. Comes with tank, filter and light. You will need a heater and all the decorations to get it going.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #3 
naturegirl243

Really!?!? well I will have to look into that I don't know if he could handle taking care of a 5 gal. though it might be to big although Arthur would love it.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #4 
TonyK

IMO the larger the tank the easier they are to take of. Using a filter will cut down on water changes. It is a real nice tank. I put the link so you can take a look at it.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752372
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
Right now Petsmart has a real nice 5 gallon Marineland setup on sale for $30.00. Comes with tank, filter and light. You will need a heater and all the decorations to get it going.
I love that tank!Wish I had a little extra cash now.. If someone bought me a new fishtank for my bday I would be so excited..Even if it was only a 2.5 or 3 gallon... The smaller tanks are usually more expensive though...That is a good deal on that 5 gallon though...They also have the 5 gallon hawkeye at walmart for 25.I really like the look of the marineland tank though. It depends on what type of space he is working with I guess..They also sell 2.5 gallon standard tanks at petco and petsmart..They don't come with a filter or a hood light though.They are about 14 dollars I think.. you can buy a versa hinged top for around 13 dollars to fit it though..You don't need a filter on a 2.5 gallon but you could easily get a cheap one at walmart for smaller tanks.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #6 
naturegirl243

Thats a nice tank, thanks fo rthe link.I know I feel the same way I try to mine in huge tanks.I'm probably going to give him atleast a 2.5 gal. maybe I will bring him a couple options to choose from size wise cause a 5 gal. might be to big for his desk.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #7 
naturegirl243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I love that tank!Wish I had a little extra cash now.. If someone bought me a new fishtank for my bday I would be so excited..Even if it was only a 2.5 or 3 gallon... The smaller tanks are usually more expensive though...That is a good deal on that 5 gallon though...They also have the 5 gallon hawkeye at walmart for 25.I really like the look of the marineland tank though. It depends on what type of space he is working with I guess..They also sell 2.5 gallon standard tanks at petco and petsmart..They don't come with a filter or a hood light though.They are about 14 dollars I think.. you can buy a versa hinged top for around 13 dollars to fit it though..You don't need a filter on a 2.5 gallon but you could easily get a cheap one at walmart for smaller tanks.
ahaha it's more for the fish then my friend lol,this is a early B-day present his b-day is right after mine his is at the end of june mine is mid june.I do have 2 have two of those plan 2.5 gal tanks I don't use thats what I was thinking of giving him.I was thinking about the hawkeye or maybe a minibow but those aren't on sale anymore.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #8 
orphansparrow

there are also the 5 gal. kritter keepers. they are a lot less expensive if you already have the other stuff, like the heater and filter...

or kritter keeper makes a 3 gal. tank too, if you don't think your friend would want a 5 gal.
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #9 
naturegirl243

Thats a great idea I forgot about kritter keepers, he might like the look of a glass tank better though.I already have a perfectly fine filter to give him I should probably buy the replacement things for it for him though since I doubt he would be able to figure out what they were,and I am debating what heater I should give to him since I don't really have an extra heater thats not huge.I supose I should I give him some of my extra decorations since he doesn't have any this is adding up to be an expensive gift lol.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #10 
Neil D

Tell us what he says !! And tell him to register on this site
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote