Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2011, 02:52 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Crashing the Freeze-Dried Myth

Okay, I just gotta crash this once and for all.

Freeze-dried foods are fine! Really! They're not like fishy potato chips.

Please consider the following (yes, it's from another post, only thing I did was correct which book I cited from David Boruchowitz - I have three of his books and got confused):

With respect, I really don't understand the fuss over freeze-dried bloodworms. I think they are fine and have more than enough nutrition.

In his book, Freshwater Aquariums, aquarist David Boruchowitz writes:
"Freeze drying is a process in which water is removed under low pressure and low temperature that preserves much of the original nutrition and palatability of food organisms."

In her book, Aquarium Care of Cichlids, aquarist Claudia Dickinson writes:
"Freeze drying retains much of the original nutrition and taste appeal, but in a much more convenient form."

Neither author says anything about them causing bloat.

David Boruchowitz has been an aquarist for over 60 years and is the editor-in-chief of the magazine Tropical Fish Hobbyist. Claudia Dickinson is a life member of the American Cichlid Association, where she serves on its board of trustees and managing editor of its publication.

It is based on this information that I feel freeze-dried foods are fine. Whatever deficiency freeze-dried foods are lacking is made up in a variety of foods. Feeding a variety is the most important factor for good nutrition.

I agree that you do not want to make freeze-dried foods a staple food because of the low protein - pellets or flakes should be the staple. But these foods also contain other nutrients that fish need, nutrients that are very much preserved by the freeze-drying process. The lack of protein can easily be compensated for by the feeding of a good quality pellet.

Please don't keep perpetuating this myth that freeze-dried foods are like french fries from McD's. They're more like just one part of the food pyramid.

Heheh, okay, let the hate mail come.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #2 
Burd

I've honestly not understood why I keep seeing people saying that freeze dried bloodworms are so bad. The protein content on the back says 48%. How is that bad? Aren't they the same bloodworms you'd feed live or frozen except preserved?

I dunno... it just seems kinda silly.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

I am not really sure about them being low in protein...The side of my freeze dried bloodworm container lists that they have crude protein 50% fat2% crude fiber 15% max moisture 9%...But it doesn't list any other nutritional info....which is sort of concerning...However,
I recently read an article which claimed that frozen foods lose more nutrients than freeze dried...But it was only one article and I am definitely no expert...
The side of the bloodworm container also says to feed only 2-3 times a week...I usually only feed my guys 1 once a week because anymore makes them look a little bloated...I am guessing this is because when they are freeze dried they lose all moisture..So they must expand a little in the belly...I wouldn't feed freeze dried bloodworms as a main staple, but as a snack I don't see why not...I don't see it any worse than a low quality pellet made with corn soy and wheat...
A variety of foods... live,frozen,freeze dried and good quality pellet is best though I think...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
Aren't they the same bloodworms you'd feed live or frozen except preserved?
Actually, another of David Boruchowitz's books says that frozen and freeze-dried foods can actually be more nutritious than live foods purchased at stores because of the conditions that some live foods are kept in. Like how feeder fish always look so . . . unappetizingly sick.

Hey yeah, you're right! I just looked at my Hikari Bio-Pure bloodworms and it says a whopping 65% on there. I guess I was listening to word-of-mouth about the low protein. Duh, shoulda checked the container sooner. I feel stupid.

So far, I haven't noticed any bloat problems with my fish and I've been giving my guy about 1-2 small (less than a half inch) worms a day. But he also has such flowing fins that I think he'd have to be really, really bloated for me to be able to tell. I keep looking but he's as active and slim as ever, even bubblenesting. But I'm definitely going to keep an eye on him.

And Littlebittyfish, I agree. I don't see how freeze-dried foods could be any worse than a low-quality pellet. I'm no expert either, that's for darn sure. I just like to quote the people who are.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #5 
trono

I've always wondered about that too. Obviously, one does not want to feed freeze-dried foods daily, but I really don't think that they are unhealthy. Mine has 50% protein, which is comparable to the flakes I use
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #6 
Sakura8

The "all things in moderation" rule applies to fish food too, I guess.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #7 
scootshoot

Yea, while there is a great deal of information to learn from sites like this one, there are also plenty of myths out there like the "fish with 15 second memory" etc. The freeze dried is another myth I tend to ignore. Let them believe what they want to believe, haha.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #8 
SillyCone

I feed my fishes like mini granules in the morning and some freeze dried bloodworms in the evening as a late snack... They don't seem bloated other than full tummies happy fish :P

I thought that maybe they were like chips cus you guys keep complaining about it, but on the box said it was fine and my fishes have been getting everyday more colourful since I started giving them those... well, guess everyone makes a mistake once in a while. xD
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #9 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCone View Post
I feed my fishes like mini granules in the morning and some freeze dried bloodworms in the evening as a late snack... They don't seem bloated other than full tummies happy fish :P

I thought that maybe they were like chips cus you guys keep complaining about it, but on the box said it was fine and my fishes have been getting everyday more colourful since I started giving them those... well, guess everyone makes a mistake once in a while. xD
Yep. On my freeze dried *gasp* Daphnia label it shows 66pct crude protein. All I know is I have never had issue with bloating with this product or bloodworms, all my babies (6 females + 1 male) are thriving and they devour this stuff. That's all that matters to me,
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #10 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Yep. On my freeze dried *gasp* Daphnia label it shows 66pct crude protein. All I know is I have never had issue with bloating with this product or bloodworms, all my babies (6 females + 1 male) are thriving and they devour this stuff. That's all that matters to me,
Mine have been growing at amazing rates and the couple fish who have been tail biters or gotten into accidental fights and come out with a few cut-outs have all grown everything back and then some.

It was seriously disheartening that I had gone out and bought freeze dried bloodworms one day thinking I'd gotten my fish a tasty treat that was good for them only to then the next day see someone on here saying what garbage food it was. I felt like I had done something wrong... I'm glad I didn't worry about it. All of my fish have been perfectly healthy from day one with me and they get freeze dried foods every other day or so.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote