Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #1 
Punki

Anubis

During my water changes i always remove my Anubis nana plant because it floats and gets in my way, well today i forgot to put it back and 4 hours later saw it drying out on the table, the leaves are still green but wilted and the roots have turned a bit brown, i threw it back in the tank asap. Anyone ever done this? Will it come back possibly or am i putting a soon to be rotting plant into fishies clean water. I was pretty excited about the plant because after trimming its roots it seemed to be thriving well, even starting to sprout a new leaf and now im angry with myself :P
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

It should bounce back. It may not, but it could.
Just dont do that again! XD

Edit:

Wait, why did you trim its roots? I would let them grow!
If, once this little thing gets better (give it a week or two) you can encourage new leaf growth by using a VERY sharp blade and cutting a small slit on the rhizome. Do it underwater and keep in the water and dont do it often.

Have you considered tethering it to something? Like a rock with some thread? It seems to, if you need to trim the roots, be getting bigger.

Last edited by PewPewPew; 06-02-2011 at 05:26 PM.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I don't think in its natural state, the Anubis species ever grows submersed. They prefer to grow on rocks near high flow areas eg. waterfalls.

Your plant should be fine if it was only for a few hours. If it had been longer you might see some yellowing of the leaf tip because of a lack of humidity in the room. That happens to mine if a leaf is sticking out of the surface of the water.

I always trim my Anubis roots. They hang down everywhere and look messy otherwise.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #4 
Punki

No no I dont plan to! Im gonig to watch it throughout the evening to see if it perks up or browns up,. Sometimes my outside plants wilt if its hot and more water shoots them back to life so im hoping i wasn't too late. I float mine because my guy always pushes it around. The roots are the fastest growing parts! I trimmed them down last week and theyd spidered out new white roots all over!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

It should be ok. Anubias are very hardy plants. I had mine out of water for an hour once.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #6 
fishman12

Never heard that about anubias LBF
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Really? I usually dont see or have that issue with mine.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #8 
Punki

Its quite odd, i took a razor blade and sliced off any unhealthy looking roots, and theyve grown about an inch+ of white new roots this week. Im not sure if its because its floating or what. Fishy like to swim through the roots and rest under the leaves at the surface. I tried covering just the roots in gravel but he head butted against it until it freed then floated up. I dont have anything to tie it down to :)