Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #1 
cadi731

Question Regarding Water

I live in New Jersey, and our little town is having issues with its water. The boro said they advise us not to drink it or wash clothes in it.
If you were to put it in a cup and let it settle, after a couple minutes, there's this disgusting film over the top. And it just looks... brown. It's really disgusting.
But today's my weekly water change day. I don't really know what to do. I did a 100% last weekend, so his water shouldn't be too bad. I was going to do a 50% today, but with our disgusting water, I don't really know what to do.
So, what should I do? Do a change anyway, just leave it and do the water change once the water's safe, or what...?
cadi731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Do they have a boil before use or don't use at all and why or whats wrong with the water...type of contamination...I guess is what I am asking...lol.....do you know how long the do not drink will last

How big is the tank, stocking, live plants, filtration....do you have water test kit......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #3 
gbose

I'd say wait until your water's safe. Meanwhile, you could get by with bottled water (NOT distilled water). Something like spring water. A bit pricey, and may lack minerals, but better than polluted stuff.

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #4 
cadi731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Do they have a boil before use or don't use at all and why or whats wrong with the water...type of contamination...I guess is what I am asking...lol.....do you know how long the do not drink will last

How big is the tank, stocking, live plants, filtration....do you have water test kit......
My town has used up a bunch of the water that was in the tower thing, and the bottom was icky, I guess, and that's why the water is now icky. I don't know how long it's going to last, but my mom probably does. I'd ask her, if she wasn't at the carnival with my sisters. :\

My tank is 5 gallons, has a filter, no live plants, but a silk plant, an anemone thing, his little house, and a floating log. I don't have a water test kit, but I have an ammonia reader on the side of the tank. It's still okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbose View Post
I'd say wait until your water's safe. Meanwhile, you could get by with bottled water (NOT distilled water). Something like spring water. A bit pricey, and may lack minerals, but better than polluted stuff.

GB
The only water bottles we have are refrigerated. D:
Old 06-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Too bad you didn't cycle the tank...then you would be fine.....I would hope for the best and not change the water until you get the all clear...then get the nitrogen cycle started and/or add some live plants....can you get some live plants....like naja grass, hornwort, water lettuce, frogbit......
Old 06-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #6 
cadi731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Too bad you didn't cycle the tank...then you would be fine.....I would hope for the best and not change the water until you get the all clear...then get the nitrogen cycle started and/or add some live plants....can you get some live plants....like naja grass, hornwort, water lettuce, frogbit......
I did cycle it, back when I first got the tank, several months ago. But even with it cycled, I'm still afraid to put the icky water in it, because it might hurt him. I have medicines and AQ salt, in case he ever does get sick, but I don't know what the water will do to him.

I don't have any money to buy live plants, and neither do my parents. What little money they do have, they need for bills and food. Besides, I've never had any luck with live plants.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

By making 100% water changes last weekend-per your first post....you most likely destroyed all the beneficial bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle......

I agree, I wouldn't risk using the bad water......hold off or limit his feeding for now to help maintain the water quality....if you want to use bottled water-I wouldn't make anymore than 10-20% water only change so you don't shock him with a chemistry change and it will be easier to go back to your tap water once it clears up-and in a 5gal filtered tank with a single Betta...he should be fine...but.....watch him and he will tell you by his behavior if the water gets too bad.....good luck....and keep us posted and I hope you get your water problems cleared up sooner than later......

To bad you don't know someone with a Koi or goldfish pond....you could get a handful of floating plants...lol.....
Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Are you sure you need the WC, then? :< You might not and may be able to wait it out, so long as the params seem fine.

I guess if youre really concerned, boil the water first, let sit (obvs) and then add...
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #9 
gbose

... wondering 1f boiling the water would be enough. It would kill bacteria, but if there's chemicals of some kind in there, it might not help.

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I'd say if this is going to be a frequent problem in your boro, talk your mom into a Brita water filter for your faucet. It'll benefit everyone, including your fish.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote