Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #1 
alli

Exclamation Help something is wrong with my fish!

I got Jorge in September and he has been living in my dorm room with a heater and a filter in his 2.5 gallon tank until April. When I brought him home he started to hang out at the bottom of his tank way more than usual. Today I noticed that his upper fin looks torn. I took out one plant and replaced it with a softer, taller one so he could rest on that. He used to be so active but now all he does is sit on the bottom and I'm concerned. Please help me!
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5gal
What temperature is your tank? 77-78F
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no but I have one to put in if that would help
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?Aqueon Betta Food pellets. I havent changed it
How often do you feed your betta fish?twice a day (2-3 pellets)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?every other week 50%. 100% at least once a month
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?either 100 or 50
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?a stress coat/water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? none

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?his fins seem to be shredding
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?he sits at the bottom when he never did before
When did you start noticing the symptoms?about two weeks ago he was sluggish. yeaterday I noticed the fins.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?I am going to change his water now with spring water because I just realized my well is out of water softner...
Does your fish have any history of being ill?no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him around eight months
***Sorry about the picture he wasn't cooperating when I tried to take a pic of his fins.****
Attached Images

alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #2 
Punki

Id say to move him to a smaller container and do 100% water changes daily for 7-10 days, the cup he came in or something similar in size is fine.
Get a gallon of water, condition it, add one teaspoon of aquarium salt in one gallon jug to help with healing his fins, let that dissolve, then put that in his quarintene cup and acclimate him to the cup with 100% water change to the cup daily. You can float the cup/clip it to the side of his tank so his heater can still keep him warm.
In a 2.5 gallon with a filter you could do two weekly water changes, one 50% and one 50% with gravel vacuuming. I have a 3 gallon and do this and it keeps my levels great and doesnt take very long to syphon out 50% so hopefully he improves and then you can try to do his water changes like that. I dont see any sharp plants that could injure his fins but ammonia build up can slowely over time cause damage and him to become lethargic among other things.
Hes a very pretty color blue btw :)

Last edited by Punki; 06-02-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #3 
alli

Thank you I will definatly do that. Do you think that hard water could bother him even with the conditioner or should I switch to spring water for now?
Old 06-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #4 
Punki

Bettas can mostely adapt to hard water and its best for them, however my water is so loaded with iron its visible so i prefer spring, your water looks pretty clear but if you suspect it may be bothering him try leaving it to set overnight and age or better yet, take it to a local pet store and ask them to test for ya. :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #5 
Dragonlady

Was your tank cycled before you added your fish? There are no water parameters listed. I am guessing it is a water quality problem causing your fish's symptoms. Increasing the water changes to daily or every other day might help your fish perk up. Hopefully, ammonia has not damaged his gills. Adding a 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water for no longer than 2 weeks will help fin rot heal. I hope you fish starts feeling better soon.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #6 
alli

I did not cycle it but he has been in there for almost seven months when he started to get sick... I am keeping him in the cup he came in for the time being as was suggested above. I was looking at the different ways of cycling but they all seem to focus on large tanks and I don't know which is best because I do not want to kill other fish to do it. If you could suggest a way of cycling for me I would appreciate it. Thanks