Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #11 
AFishTale

Is there anything I can do to get him more interested in working on his nest, and less on chasing her? (She isn't going near his nest much, but he still is on the planted side of the tank seeking her out just to chase her.) I know chasing is normal, but is this degree? As I said, they both look pretty tired already.
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #12 
AFishTale

Hmm, my female isn't as striped up as before; nor does she look full with eggs. Should I put her back in the vase until she does? Sorry for all the questions. x.x I'm just nervous.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

If you have plenty of hiding places that she can get away from the male to rest....I would leave her.....add some more plants if you have them even silk if that is all you have...crammed to the point that its hard for him to get through but not her........don't worry about the nest at this point.....once he gets over her in the tank....he will start on it and some males will wait until they have eggs in their mouth before making a nest....it varies.....give them time and try not to intervene or stick your hands in the tank.....turn off the light if needed.....and if you can get some mosquito larva.....add a half dozen or so to the tank for them......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #14 
AFishTale

Okay, I'll see what I can do. Luckly he's calmed down and has a decent nest going now. (:

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Great....it normal for them to do the chase and play tag thing for awhile.....she will approach the nest in the head down position and he may or may not attack and run her off and they may do this several times....or she may approach head down and they embrace......and spawning start......never know...lol......and if he has trouble with the embrace sometimes one or the other gets frustrated and attacks......if they do, leave them alone...they will figure it out with enough time....as long as neither are in distress or badly injured......
Good luck....
Old 06-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #16 
AFishTale

7:21 pm

The male has a nice nest that he's been building all day, but still won't let the female anywhere near it. Time to play the waiting game.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #17 
AFishTale

6/5/11, 6:22 am.

Woke up this morning to find Simbad's nest pretty well gone, and he's again much more focused on chasing Sinara then working on/guarding it. Yesterday they were doing the normal, female comes the the nest head down and he chases her off, but now he's just chasing nearly non-stop. She isn't as barred, nor is she full of eggs. Is there anything I can do?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #18 
AFishTale

That's weird.. It posted out of order. o.o
Old 06-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #19 
lunawatsername

wow that must be nerve racking... o.o ive never been all that great at waiting, so iknow im going to be sitting on my hands and forcing myself to not press my face up against the glass... too often xDD good luck, i hope the spawn starts soon! :D
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #20 
Oldfishlady

You may want to separate them and re-condition with live food for 3-4 days and try again.....place them so they can't see each other....neither in the spawning tank......water temp 75-76F...spawning tank 80F...after 3 days of mass feeding...drop both in the spawning tank at the same time...they will get a little shock and this is what you want....I get spawning within the hour with this method.....live food is the key too...lots of mosquito larva......