Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #1 
Bullet

Question Pregnant Guppy Female

Hi guys, some help please. I've got a guppy female that is forever pregnant, it's now almost 2 months and still no fry coming out of her. the back of the guppy female is forever redish in colour and not turning black as the smaller guppy female that is pregnant aswell. The smaller guppy female is black at the back side ever since I notice that she is pregnant.
Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Need some more information...

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes. water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite, number and species of fish in the tank or is it only guppies, how long has she been symptomatic and any other signs/symptoms, did you raise her or buy her grown, is this her first drop attempt.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #3 
Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Need some more information...

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes. water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite, number and species of fish in the tank or is it only guppies, how long has she been symptomatic and any other signs/symptoms, did you raise her or buy her grown, is this her first drop attempt.....
the tank is a 2ft tank that I use as a breeding tank, only the two female guppys and six small guppys from another female that passed away during the burth period. Water changes are taking place once a week of about 25 to 30%. temp 28 digrees. Life plants but not to many. The guppys I've got them from a friend who ends the hobby (not enough time to continue the hobby). When I got her, she was pregnant.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

The female is fine otherwise, swimming, eating and acting normal...just no fry dropped and instead of black gravid spot its red...what color is she....if blond or albino red gravid spot is expected..
Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #5 
Bullet

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The female is fine otherwise, swimming, eating and acting normal...just no fry dropped and instead of black gravid spot its red...what color is she....if blond or albino red gravid spot is expected..
She is blond colour, swimming normal around in the tank and eat well
Old 06-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Is she round like she is holding one day and smaller the next...she may be dropping and you just haven't see her or the fry due to the other fish...especially since she is otherwise acting and eating her normal self...she may be dropping fry and just don't see it/them......blond colored bodied guppies usually have reddish to brownish look to the gravid spot and not the usual black gravid spot...

Is that a pic of the tank in your avatar...if so, looks nice....can you post of pic of her
Old 06-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #7 
Thunderloon

Hate to be blunt but is she big enough, or are any of the other mothers big enough to eat fry when they're dropped?

I've had this happen with guppy and molly both.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #8 
xMandy

I use to have guppies.
If you do a water change she may drop.
Also she may be eating the fry (or other fish may)
Be sure you have grass/dense plants for them to hide in. I've woken to tiny eyes staring at me from the grass before.

My female was still very very big after dropping fry. She stayed like that for a while (and from what I watched) never dropped more fry before she died 1-1 1/2 months later.
xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote