Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #1 
Genesis

So I have a 10gal...

Or a 15. We're not entirely sure.
It's in our basement, and far, far too big for just my little Genesis, haha.

My mom has also said no altogether to setting it up, because I have nowhere to put it. Well, I'm going to try to find space for it, and maybe get her to change her mind.

If I do, should I get dividers, and a few more bettas? Or maybe make a sorority? I'm completely inexperienced with female bettas, so I'm not so sure on getting them (I've also never seen one in any pet shop here). Are they "easy" to take care of?

What other fish would be nice for a tank that size? Tetras? I love bettas, but I'd like to get as many as I could into a tank that size, so I'm leaning more towards non-bettas.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #2 
kathstew

Sororities are great, but I think its more for the experienced betta owner. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't. There is a bit of fighting at the beginning, and you need to know how and when to treat rips and fns, when a female is too aggressive, etc....
I think a nice community tank with your betta as the center piece would be lovely. I'm not entirely sure, (ask the experts in the compatibility section) but you could add things such as snails, shrimps, ADFs, platys(thats a maybe - not positive), cory cats, rasboras, tetras....(obviously not all of them :P)
I found this link to be VERY helpful when picking fish to go together:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/f...lity_chart.cfm

Edit: You could go the divided route. But honestly, I find a community tank a bit more exciting. I started off with a 5.5 divided tank, and have a sorority as well now, and I am always more drawn to the sorority where there is more activity and more fish. But I do love my boys in my divided tank. :)
Good luck!

Last edited by kathstew; 06-01-2011 at 09:27 PM.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #3 
Twilight Storm

If it's a 10 gallon, you can have 3 Bettas in there if you divide it. I made a divided tank to medicate my Betta originally but I decided I liked it and they each have a little over 3 gallons each.

There are a lot of nice fish out there though. It might be worth looking around at freshwater fish, and maybe live plants if you go that route. You can find a fish you want and see what can go with it in that size tank and go from there.

I have a 20 gallon tank that was given to me recently and i'm researching Paradise Fish, and a particular live plant I REALLY want and how to make it work. ;) I have all the time in the world for that though since I can't find the plants or the fish by where I live lol.

Good luck!
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #4 
Genesis

Thanks for the suggestions!

@kathstew: Yeah, I had a feeling sororities were for people a bit more experienced with bettas. c:

@Twilight Storm: I actually looked around at freshwater fish on petco's website yesterday, out of boredom and curiosity. We used to have a freshwater aquarium set up, but it was only tetras. xD

I wish the tank was bigger, because I love how cichilds look. XD
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote