Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #1 
JeanLuc2

Red face Question about tank mates

Hi,

I am thinking about maybe getting my little Jean-Luc a friend. I have been thinking about a snail or another lady betta (in a divided tank of course). I hardly know anything about snails or any other type of fish. So here are my questions....

1.) If I do get just one snail will I be risking them multiplying?? I don't want multiple snails or to have a "snail emergency".

2.) I have got a 2 gallon tank and I am thinking of eventually upgrading to a 5 gallon at the beginning of the next school year. Do I have enough space??

3.) Do they make a HUGE mess? I tend to do 100% water changes once a week.

4.) Will my betta murder the snail???

I am likely not going to go get a snail anytime soon since I am trying to figure out where Jean-Luc can live at for 10 days to 6 weeks starting on the 13th or 14th of this month.

Just please simply inform me about tank mates and snails vs my quirky, and fiesty betta.
Thanks =D
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #2 
HestonFan23

I recently got a snail for my 2.5 gallon tank. The water quality worsened very quickly. I try to do a 20% water change twice a week. I would probably put a snail in a 5 or 10 gallon tank.

I do believe that they poop (well, the snail version) constantly. They have a huge bio-load in terms of waste. That was why i took the snail out.
HestonFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuc2 View Post
Hi,

I am thinking about maybe getting my little Jean-Luc a friend. I have been thinking about a snail or another lady betta (in a divided tank of course). I hardly know anything about snails or any other type of fish. So here are my questions....

1.) If I do get just one snail will I be risking them multiplying?? I don't want multiple snails or to have a "snail emergency".
Pond snails are what youre thinking of, I think. Those buggers reproduce asexually.

Try getting a nerite snail. I like these little things (no bigger than a dime, much under a nickel), theyre small, clean(er than apple snails) and dont eat plants and CANT reproduce unless in salty water with a mate!

2.) I have got a 2 gallon tank and I am thinking of eventually upgrading to a 5 gallon at the beginning of the next school year. Do I have enough space??

In a 2 gallon, no, you do not. In a 5 gallon, unless you have live plants, Id either get another betta OR a couple snails (usually, devote 2.5 gallons to each snail, so two) If you get a few good live plants, Id say get one* snail, best a smaller snail, and then divide.

3.) Do they make a HUGE mess? I tend to do 100% water changes once a week.

They do, lots of poop. Pooooppp all the time. Thats why I like nerite snails over apple/mystery snails. Smaller poop. If you get one, you're gonna want to get a siphon to spot suck some of the poops throughout the week, generally around the sides of the tank, where they poop most.
If you get that 5 gallon (which is the only place for a snail companion), you probably wont want to do a 100% change, since its a lot! Opt for a tank with a filter to avoid these.

4.) Will my betta murder the snail???

The smaller the tank, the higher the chance. Generally speaking, no. They may pluck off a feeler, but usually* theyre fine. Even my horrifically aggressive male cant do damage to my snail.

I am likely not going to go get a snail anytime soon since I am trying to figure out where Jean-Luc can live at for 10 days to 6 weeks starting on the 13th or 14th of this month.

Just please simply inform me about tank mates and snails vs my quirky, and fiesty betta.
Thanks =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by HestonFan23 View Post
I recently got a snail for my 2.5 gallon tank. The water quality worsened very quickly. I try to do a 20% water change twice a week. I would probably put a snail in a 5 or 10 gallon tank.

I do believe that they poop (well, the snail version) constantly. They have a huge bio-load in terms of waste. That was why i took the snail out.
I think the reason you saw such sharp increases is because of your water change schedule, 20% x a week isnt a whole lot in a 2.5, even with a betta. Try doing a 50% once or twice and a 100% sometime in the week and itll be better, because ammonia will be knocked out much more with a 50% than both times you do the 20%, so itll be less right off the bat! (So you could add the snail again)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #4 
newf

I have four mystery snails in my five gallon tank with my betta, and the water quality is great. My plant flourish and everyone gets along well. I didn't start out with that many, but the two I had originally had babies. Now I take the eggs out before they hatch. Po likes having them in there too. I did see him become more active once he had some tank buddies.
newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #5 
JeanLuc2

So, I was at PetSmart earlier this afternoon. The lady who was enduring my bazillion questions and my stories about my fish's misadventures told me that they are going to be getting CrownTails and Dragonsomethings. I am most likely going to try to get one of the Dragonsomethings male betta once I have a bigger tank with a divider. So excited. I will likely be hanging out at PetSmart a LOT in the next few months just staring at the new shipments of fish.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

They sell dragon scales at your petsmart? Wow, mine dont D; PetCO usually has the BEST assortment of tails and colors, if you have one nearby!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #7 
JeanLuc2

They are about to get them for the first time. I went to PetCo when I was looking for JeanLuc, took one look at the Bettas, and walked out. At least half of them were dead or dying and I didn't one one of those since I had never had a Betta before so I didn't want to nurse one back to health. I may go to PetCo again to take another look at them.