Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #1 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Unhappy My Interference Fish Were Interfered With!

My green neon tetras, the original residents of the 20H sorority tank, have all vanished without a trace. My bf denies making a fishy sandwich with them.

It happened about two days after I baffled the new filter in the 20H. Until then, the water current was too much for them... they lived in plants in the back of the tank, and only came out to get their food, which I always put in a certain place for them.

Once the current was to their liking, the green tetras started swimming all over the tank and I thought, "Great! This will make the tank more exciting!"

Apparently, it was too exciting.

After two days of frolicking, the tetras stopped swimming in the front of the tank, and I thought they'd just gone back to their old ways. It took me two more days to realize they weren't eating their food.

At the next water change, I searched for them. They weren't in the plants. They weren't in the caves. They weren't in the filter, or stuck behind the baffle. The tank was covered, so they couldn't have jumped out, if they'd had the inclination.

There were no remnants, not even a fin. So I'm hoping they were raptured, instead of what I really think happened to them!

So, altogether I have lost 7 fish from this tank in about two months time.

I have a likely suspect... Sky, because all these losses have been since she arrived. As I have just added 4 new females to the sorority, I am watching her closely.

Sky was picking on Mossy, trying to nip her from underneath (actaully, all the established females were after her), so Mossy is in the breeder's net, recovering. She's such a sweet, shy little marble female. I will try to re-introduce her again next week.

But Sky is being closely watched... and may be isolated if she doesn't knock it off! >:(
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #2 
52cherish

Our female CT took out two of our Neon Tetras... and their food... I ended up netting her at feeding time. She now moved out of the tank. They can be so much more aggressive than the males... at least our males.
52cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #3 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

It's a shame... But now and again a really aggressive fish pops up. I've got one in isolation in a five gallon... Sky may be joining her (I'll put the divider back in).

For now, I'm hoping that if I put SKY in a fry net in the main tank for some time, she'll calm down and the other fish will form a core group that she will have to re-join as 'low fish on the totem pole'. It's gonna take some time though...
Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #4 
kathstew

That happened to me with my girls and some neon tetras. I put six in with them, (now I know it was overstocked) and within a few days, GONE. One is still missing. The others I found....pieces of. One was a head, missing its eyes. O_O
Bettas can be very violent.
Sorry for your lose. :(
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #5 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Eewww! Sorry about your loss too!

The odd thing was, I was trying to boost filtration and lessen the bioload on the tank at the time. I can't help but wonder if I hadn't done that, the tetras would still be hiding in the weeds - unseen but ok!

Well, my interference fish are gone... and I'm thinking I'm not going to replace them. That leaves the three cory cats... and the unseen loach (haven't seen for two months... but they can hide forever and a day).

On an up note, the sorority seems to have calmed down for now... no additional injuries to the new girls... Mossy's still in fry net. Still have hopes of intergrating her; but if the other girls gang up on her again, I have a nice seperate residence for her. :)
Old 06-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Poor Mossy, stinks being the bottom of the totem pole. And Sky . . . ha, sounds like she needs some anger management classes. Maybe the corys can teach it, they're so laid-back. But seriously, you haven't seen your loach in two months? And no sign that it's gone to loachy heaven? Wow, they really can hide, can't they?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #7 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Update:

I noticed Miss America (the sorority leader) was in Mossy's corner all day yesterday. She kept wedging herself between the glass and the fry net cage, staying right by her side. Even if she left the corner to eat, she was right back by Mossy whenever I came to check.

I figured that was Miss America's way of saying "the kid's alright, we accept her now. Let her out, please". So I did.

Everyone was all happy and swimmy when I let her out!

I noticed that the little Mossy actually had some territorial issuses (she really, really likes a leaf in the front corner of the tank) and prehaps she just rubbed everyone the wrong way when she arrived the first time. Little baby = big attitude. No wonder they gave her a beat down and she was hiding!

That fry net is worth the $4.00 I paid for it... makes a great 'time out' for errant fishes, without totally removing them from the tank. :)

Sakura8,

Yes, p. khuli loaches are notorious hiders. People thought they wouldn't breed in captivity until someone found a colony of them under their under gravel filter (when they did a major maintenence of the tank)!

Unfortunately, Laurina is a single (she was the only one left), so she's more shy and I don't expect to see her much... which is too bad. She was out more in the 5 gallon than she is in the 20H... but, there are many more hiding places and many more residents in the 20H.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Haha, sounds like Miss America is the den mother. So cute. I'm glad it worked out for you and for Mossy (I guess you could have called her Bossy if she just had to have that leaf).

Wow, that's amazing about Laurina and kuhli loaches in general. I knew they liked being in groups and could be very shy if they weren't. I didn't realize they could be so shy they pulled complete disappearing acts. But I guess 'cause they're so slender it'd be easy for them to hide. That's pretty amazing about the colony under the UGF, too. Thanks for telling me, I love these fun facts. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #9 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

You're welcome! :)

That's why I love this forum. I learn new stuff here every day!