Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #1 
GreenTea

Exclamation Dropsy? =[ Please help!

Hey all, I bought a beautiful betta about a week ago from a Petco. I had to have him, he looked like the "painted" bettas in the aquabid thread. He lived in a heated 1.75 gal tank for a few days before being transferred to a heated 2.5 gallon. A day after the change, he has been acting strange, and today I came home to what looks like might be dropsy =[ He's the prettiest guy I own and I want to try to save him if I can. I took photos but my camera cord is nowhere to be found!

He had light fin tearing when I bought him but otherwise appeared to be healthy. A few days ago he began resting on the bottom, fins clamped like they were paralyzed, or resting near the top in the same state. I did a water change immediately and nothing changed. He has no tank mates. Today he has slight pine-coning of his scales, as well as an inability to swim. He sort of jerks one way or the other but doesn't seem to have his motor skills about him. I immediately moved him out of the 2.5 gallon an into a QT tupperware container with a drop of bettafix and aquarium salt in it (and water conditioner of course.) He has a gray spot on his lip but thats been there since I bought him, I believe it's part of his coloring. Also, I can't be sure, but it looks like there might be a bit of a film over his eyes =[

I don't have access to other medications right now, just paid my rent. I have AQ salt, Bettafix (which Ive used with much success with seriously ill bettas) and my water conditioner. My other five bettas are doing great, I'm thinking this guy (who I named Monet) must have had an illness dwelling under the surface right before I got him.

Right now my plan of action is to do once or twice daily water changes in the tupperware container with 1 drop of bettafix and some AQ salt for 10 days, assuming he doesn't get better or dies before then.

Any other suggestions or comments for me? I can try to describe things better, it's sort of hard to explain the way he swims. He kind of just floats back up to the surface.

Thank you in advance!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #2 
GreenTea

Also: He has tried to eat but can't keep the pellets down. He was able to before.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Will you please fill out the sticky in the top of this section for us? I know you put some info on here, but you are also lacking info and its easier to reference that way.

Its hard to say without pictures... Try taking a photo in your macro setting from above.

If he has dropsy, dont use the AQ salt. Epsom salt is your better bet, and its cheap! Unscented, please. Availible everywhere, use 2tsp/gallon for 3 or so days, then up to 3tsp/gallon for 7-10.

It relieves pressure, which may help. Sadly, if it really IS dropsy, there is usually no coming back.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #4 
GreenTea

I answered everything I could answer in the sticky here. I don't know water parameters, other than my tapwater has >20 nitrate and a bit of ammonia in it. I use a water conditioner. My 2.5 gals get regular changes (one 50% and one 100% a week at least, usually two 100% changes)

Ok I can get some epsom salt. I had some before but used it on another fish and the rest on my feet. I took photos but like I said, I can't find my cord. I'm going to get one tomorrow. It's hard to see his scales in the bluish water but he seems to have better control over his swimming and buoyancy at this point. I know dropsy is a bad sign and horribly deadly =[

Are there other reasons bettas scales might stand up?
Old 06-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
I answered everything I could answer in the sticky here. I don't know water parameters, other than my tapwater has >20 nitrate and a bit of ammonia in it. I use a water conditioner. My 2.5 gals get regular changes (one 50% and one 100% a week at least, usually two 100% changes)

Ok I can get some epsom salt. I had some before but used it on another fish and the rest on my feet. I took photos but like I said, I can't find my cord. I'm going to get one tomorrow. It's hard to see his scales in the bluish water but he seems to have better control over his swimming and buoyancy at this point. I know dropsy is a bad sign and horribly deadly =[

Are there other reasons bettas scales might stand up?
Ah, I meant we'd like it for those parameters...Your water has ammonia? That may be an issue (not necessarily This* one, though)

Yeah, it is, sadly. Its usually a symptom of other diseases, not one itself. Be careful not to over-medicate, too- if it IS dropsy, liver function and kidney function may be less and it'd be worse and not better..

There are other reasons, Im sure, none really good ones (ehhh D:), like bloating (non-pineconing, but raised scales), pressure under the scales/fluid build up (forgot what that can mean) and things like that...

Try the salt once you get it. You may find the scales go down. I hope they do! <3
Old 06-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #6 
GreenTea

Is a drop of bettafix with some aq salt and water conditioner too much? He's officially stopped eating =[ His gills look swollen. Oh man I'm going to be so sad if he doesnt make it. I have a few photos of him healthyish (right when I got him) I post here too when I can.

Would epsom salt and bettafix be too much? Also I meant <20 nitrates, not >20! The ph is fine, I wasn't able to test for metals. I had it checked from my tap a few weeks ago when all my bettas spontaneously bloated after water changes.

Thanks for your input! I'm hoping OFL and others will weigh in with advice or experiences too. This is scary! I take such good care of my fish and adore each and every one of them.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #7 
PewPewPew

I dont think AQ is great when you suspect dropsy..

Id say the bettafix and epsom are fine.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:10 AM   #8 
GreenTea

I just examined his tiny clamped (appear paralyzed) fins and noticed a few appear to be like, burned together? The pectoral fins have an orangish edge to them. He also has a slight film on eat eye.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:52 AM   #9 
FuulieQ

Poor guy. :( I hope he makes it...
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:52 AM   #10 
Sakura8

The film is probably from the poor water quality (ie, the extra ammonia your tapwater appears to have). I'm so sorry money is tight for you or I'd recommend you immediately purchase Seachem Prime for its advertised ability to neutralize ammonia. The best I can suggest is keep him warm and clean. If he begins to show signs of being unable to surface for air, lower the water level. Do you drink bottled water or have access to a Brita water filter? If you do, perhaps you can change his water with the bottled water or filtered water.

Dropsy is a symptom that can indicate something serious like organ failure or more rarely just indigestion. In the case of organ failure, it occurs because fluid backs up into the organs and swells them, hence the bloating and pineconing. It can also be a sign of a virus, bacterial parasite, suppressed immune system, or even old age, all of which can lead to organ failure.

I think your suspicion that he had an illness brewing under the surface is probably correct because your other bettas don't appear to be sick and they have the same water. Apart from your tap water, which you can't control, you've done the best you can to care for your little Monet.

I really hope he makes it. Get well soon, Monet!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote