Betta Fish Forum banner

Euthanize options for Barney :(

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Punki 
#1 ·
After almost a month, it's time to consider what's best for my Barney. We've tried everything, spoke to everyone and he's now in hospice care.

When to euthanize as I understand it is based on 3 things, accurate diagnosis, exploring all possible options and his will to live.

We are now discussing the "what's best for him" avenue and how to proceed.

I've read that the FDA has approved drugs that can act as a fatal anesthetic (MS-222) but I can't find these drugs available (so far). In terms of actual humane treatment, decapitating him is seen as extremely humane. No way we could do that.

I personally feel that flushing a sick fish or freezing them is cruel treatment.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

#2 ·
Flushing and freezing are both incredibly inhumane so you are right to not consider them.

For home euthanasia, there are basically three options and none of them are very pleasant for the person who has to carry them out.

1) Decapitation followed by destruction of the brain
2) Concussion followed by destruction of the brain
3) Overdose of an anaesthesia

The third one is obviously the best choice for the person who has to do it. Problem is, I don't know of any drugs that are obtainable over the counter that will do it. For the other two, it's important to destroy the brain afterward because studies have shown that a fish brain is highly resistant to hypoxy and can supposedly survive for hours after losing its blood supply.

If decapitation or concussion are unacceptable and boy do I understand if they are, I would suggest you take your fish to a veterinary clinic and ask them to euthanize Barney for you.

Some people have also suggested using clove oil but I have no personal experience with this.

I'm sorry Barney is so sick and that you may lose him. If there's anything you want to know about further treatment, don't hesitate to post.

#4 ·
An overdose on clove oil is usually recommended, and can be found in your pharmacy. Use in intense overdose, and he will fall asleep...Then place in either freezing water or the fridge (or both)...He wont feel it, of course, and it will be a passing not unlike a dog's or cats via euthanasia.

#8 ·
I don't recommend decapitation. Clove oil really is the most humane way in my opinion.

#10 ·
A fast decapitation is painless, just (frankly) gross and sad...

And clove oil is a mild anesthetic in humans, for toothaches, sores, sometimes even used as an antiseptic... When introduced to fish, being so much smaller than we, it can over come them when introduced at a fair pace (below), putting it to sleep, then deeper so, then finally, it will pass away (asleep).

From what Ive read and heard others do with the clove oil is put a few drops, like 2-3 in water, shaken before or well stirred to mix in (it might turn white and gross), and then add it to a small container, a gallon or so. After a bit the fish will become sleepy, and then more is added, 2-3 drops of the stuff, which (I think) may cause it to float (but not die), and once that happens, 3-4 more drops are added, which will allow the fish to gently pass. It takes an hour or so. Everything added needs to be shaken well in water (not too much) beforehand to mix it in.

You know the fish has passed when its gills wont move and it (certainly) isnt swimming around. Add a couple drops at this time to assure the fish has moved on.

There are other vodka/clove oil combos, but I dont like them much..

#9 ·
Ah. I wondered what clove oil was for. How does it work for euthanizing fish, though?

Decapitation is probably the fastest and most humane way of euthanization . . . but also the hardest. I don't blame anyone who won't use it as a method. I don't think I could do it. In fact, I know I couldn't.

#11 ·
Thanks for the elaboration on how clove oil works, PewPewPew. If I ever (gulp) have to euthanize a fish, it's nice to know about this method and what to expect. Although, I think I'd take my fish to my vet and have her do it.

(By the way PewPewPew, I've been meaning to tell you I love your avatar pic. The gills on your fish look like he's smiling.)

#13 ·
I know...Its a scary thing. I had a fish get a nasty, fast-acting strain of columnaris, and I almost had to...He passed before I couldve gotten it, though. Guh, I miss him.

I hope you never have to, and OP, Im so sorry. At least with clove oil, he can pass nice and comfy <3

Thanks- he's so handsome and cute...That's why we call him "Baller" because he's such a hit/charmer with the ladies ;)

#15 ·
I just had to euthanize my little girl a few days ago. Clove oil is on the top of my list to buy next time im out. Decapitation will break your heart and make you feel like, though it was right, and you ended suffering ...ugh the sadness and heartbreak. 100% sure you should do clove oil if the time comes unless you do have a local vt that will do it. I understand how hard it is, my thoughts are with you and Barney :(

#20 ·
:( It's not an easy thing to do. I used clove oil for Whiskey just as Pew3 described. It didn't take any longer then 15 minutes. I hate the smell of the stuff now but it was the least traumatic for both of us.

I'm sorry about Barney.

#21 ·
I use blunt force trauma when I euthanize fish. I wrap them up in a damp cloth to lessen the stress, and then after locating the head, use a hammer to deliver a fatal blow. None of my fish have even so much as twitched afterward, and it happens so fast, their brain doesn't have time to process it.

I'm sorry it came to this for you. It made me feel horrible the first time I had to euthanize one of my fish, but if there's zero chance of recovery and a slow, lingering death ahead of them, it's our responsibility to end their suffering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.