Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #11 
Sakura8

Thanks for the elaboration on how clove oil works, PewPewPew. If I ever (gulp) have to euthanize a fish, it's nice to know about this method and what to expect. Although, I think I'd take my fish to my vet and have her do it.

(By the way PewPewPew, I've been meaning to tell you I love your avatar pic. The gills on your fish look like he's smiling.)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #12 
Doberz

I read on another forum that using Orajel is also an option alongside clove oil.
Doberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #13 
PewPewPew

I know...Its a scary thing. I had a fish get a nasty, fast-acting strain of columnaris, and I almost had to...He passed before I couldve gotten it, though. Guh, I miss him.

I hope you never have to, and OP, Im so sorry. At least with clove oil, he can pass nice and comfy <3

Thanks- he's so handsome and cute...That's why we call him "Baller" because he's such a hit/charmer with the ladies ;)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #14 
LeroyTheBetta

I'm very sorry to hear that you have come to consider euthanasia for your Barney.

I have a link I'll share with you that has some very good information on different methods of euthanasia for a fish:

http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatment/euthanasia.html
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #15 
Punki

I just had to euthanize my little girl a few days ago. Clove oil is on the top of my list to buy next time im out. Decapitation will break your heart and make you feel like, though it was right, and you ended suffering ...ugh the sadness and heartbreak. 100% sure you should do clove oil if the time comes unless you do have a local vt that will do it. I understand how hard it is, my thoughts are with you and Barney :(
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #16 
Sakura8

Sorry to bring up bad memories, Punki. :( You had great courage and I don't think I could have been as strong as you were.

And thanks Leroy, the link was very informative.

Last edited by Sakura8; 06-03-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #17 
thecoinbox

Thanks for all your posts and sympathies.

Barney isn't doing better and has taken a turn for the worse (spare you the details). His spirit is strong but I'm afraid his body is just too weak. We're waffling on taking any action.
thecoinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #18 
Punki

My thoughts are with you at this painful time. When you feel its right, then thats when its right.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #19 
PewPewPew

I'm sorry, hun :c
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #20 
vaygirl

:( It's not an easy thing to do. I used clove oil for Whiskey just as Pew3 described. It didn't take any longer then 15 minutes. I hate the smell of the stuff now but it was the least traumatic for both of us.

I'm sorry about Barney.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote